Has Anyone's Dog Had Hotspots?

Guest gennygrey

Guest gennygrey

I have to wait until Saturday morning to get my dog in at the vet. My mutt has been been itching like crazy and licking his skin raw and bloody. Both of my greyhounds are fine and not itchy. My mutt first had worms, and I had to worm all the dogs to be safe. Shortly after I wormed him, I took him to the groomer. A few days after he went to the groomer, he started getting red spots on his skin, and now they are infected. I am not sure of the cause. He has been on Eagle Pack Holistic for 2 years now with no problems. We have always used Frontline plus and he has never had any allergic reaction to that. I noticed that this all started shortly after I took him to the groomers. Since he has got back from the groomers, he started to have a skin condition. I have been giving him Benedryl to try and keep him comfortable, but it is not working to well. Do you think, that he possibly could have contracted skin mites from the clippers that were used on another dog, or could he still be having an allergric reaction to the grooming products? Maybe it is from the wormer? I will put this to rest Saturday morning, but does anyone have any short term remedies to help him feel more comfortable.

Guest ChelseyQ

yes it could be the grooming products, it happens the my yorkie all the time and we figured out it was the shampoo and conditioners that the groomers used. her whole back would get hot and ichy. we also gave her some benedryl but it just knocked her out for a while. i also took her to the vet and they just put her on some steroids which wasnt good cause she gained a lotttt of weight (and for a yorkie that should be 7lbs and was 10lbs was bad) we finially found a super hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner and well bring it to the groomers for them to use on her and shes fine that way. but to be on the safe side if it gets worse i would get him to the vet just as a precaution.

My bulldog has hot spots all the time. We use a product called Sulfadene, you can buy it at Target for less that $5.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest EmilyAnne

Perhaps the shampoo was not adequately rinsed out? Or did the groomer use a leave in creme rinse? I would put your dog in the tub, give him a good thorough all over warm water rinse. The Bendaryl is a good idea and I would continue with that. Did you check the dose size with your vet? My 58 lb eskie is getting 2-25mg Benadryls twice daily. My long haired eskie once got a hot spot because I did not rinse him well enough. I put him back in tub, rinsed him well, picked up external medicine for hot spots at the pet store and he immediately got better.

Guest gennygrey
Perhaps the shampoo was not adequately rinsed out? Or did the groomer use a leave in creme rinse? I would put your dog in the tub, give him a good thorough all over warm water rinse. The Bendaryl is a good idea and I would continue with that. Did you check the dose size with your vet? My 58 lb eskie is getting 2-25mg Benadryls twice daily. My long haired eskie once got a hot spot because I did not rinse him well enough. I put him back in tub, rinsed him well, picked up external medicine for hot spots at the pet store and he immediately got better.

I have only been giving him one Benedryl a day until I take him to the vet on Sat at 10:00a.m. I will take your advice and put him in the tub again and give him another rinse. I just feel bad, because he is so miserable. I really hope he stops itching soon. I just pray it is just the grooming and not a bigger problem like he developed a food allergy.

Guest MAXNAV

My Max (collie) always had a hot spot on his tail and Navigator (grey) has one as well. My vet said that it can be related to thyroid problems, which they both had/have.

sounds like it could be contact dermatitus from all those allergens out there. my late welsh terrier had sensitive skin and hot spots popped up. i treated them with hydrocortisone and aloe cream, gobs of it. yes, they lick it but he survived. i also found out that just keeping him pollen free by hosing him down with plain water kept the outbreak at bay. i did not use shampoo, just plain water and would dry him after. terrier will produce a strange fishy odor if washed too much and it is bad for his skin.

try a good rinse, the suggested benadryl(i love that stuff) and the hydrocortosone w/ aloe and give it time. also during his stressed out time why not change over to just plain rice(overcooked) with boiled beef or turkey- no treats or grains, let everything heal and a different variety of eagle pack. which one are you currently feeding him?

Guest gennygrey
sounds like it could be contact dermatitus from all those allergens out there. my late welsh terrier had sensitive skin and hot spots popped up. i treated them with hydrocortisone and aloe cream, gobs of it. yes, they lick it but he survived. i also found out that just keeping him pollen free by hosing him down with plain water kept the outbreak at bay. i did not use shampoo, just plain water and would dry him after. terrier will produce a strange fishy odor if washed too much and it is bad for his skin.

try a good rinse, the suggested benadryl(i love that stuff) and the hydrocortosone w/ aloe and give it time. also during his stressed out time why not change over to just plain rice(overcooked) with boiled beef or turkey- no treats or grains, let everything heal and a different variety of eagle pack. which one are you currently feeding him?

He is on the lamb and rice, just recently switched him off the chicken, that is the only flavor Jackson had a problem with.

it can take a while for a reaction to run it's course. but do have your vet look at his skin if you think there could be a chance of picking up mites at the groomer. my welsh had a run-in w/ mites thru grooming. a shot of ivermectin did the trick and then i bought my own stripping combs and eventually learned how to groom him myself.

Guest VanillaBean

This happened to my friends Yorkie after he was groomed. Turned out to be a burn from the dryer. Took a couple of months for it to heal. She had to pick the scab off every day. YUCK!

Guest gennygrey

Well,

I took Jackson to the vet today and he has eczema, dermatitis, and a infection from an allergic reaction. They shot him up with steroids and gave him some anti inflammatory and antibiotics. What is good is that my greyhounds cannot get what he has. He is parasite, mite, and worm free. I just hope my mutt feels better soon. The vet said that he cannot cure his eczema and it will be an ongoing problem for him, but I have medication for him, when it becomes problematic. I will increase giving him fish oil to see if it helps with his skin.

Always use natural products with ours............definitely anything with 'camomile' in or aloe vera are soothing and good for the skin.

But as with anything....... research and ask veterinary opinion first.

Hope he feels better soon the poor sweetie.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

ah....nothing like a tad of steroids to do the trick. i periodically go thru horrid allergic reactions myself and the only thing that brings comfort is dear old predisnone. if you don't over do it, it does wonders. also nothing like checking in w/ your vet. glad to hear it's not mites.

i use lakse cronch salmon oil from alpha pets for my greys, it does wonders. i like it better than the grizzley salmon oil.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheDoggfather

While looking for another topic I stumbled upon this one... here's what I've replied to others who've had to deal with hotspots:

What you're describing is a benign little thing that occurs every once in a while and is certainly treateable at home. What your dog's got is what we call a "hotspot". Not entirely sure what the cause of them are, and I even spoke to our track vet about them. She ran off a litany of possiblities as to their cause and I basically asked her, "Soooooooo, you don't really have a clear idea as to their cause, right?" to which she replied... "Well, no, not exactly."

What we do is remove all the funk... don't worry, this doesn't bother the dog in the least (I know, I've had to do this a lot... well, not a lot, but, enough to know)... pick at the affected area, remove all hair, skin that'll come up easily. Pick around the edges to make sure that you're getting ALL of the infection. Take a damp cloth and wipe clean the area. Once you've done that, clean the spot with some hydrogen peroxide and let it air dry. No need to pat it dry (although it won't hurt) as we want the H2O2 to do as much good as it can in disinfecting the area. Once the spot has dried, apply some triple antibiotic to it. You can use, bacetracin, neosporin or you can use what we use... bag balm. It's my firm belief God created bag balm to help greyhounds with their skin; it's absolutely the best stuff for keeping things clean and healing nicks and cuts.

Apply the triple liberally and keep doing it till you start to see some noticable healing occurring. Within a month or so, I'd say the hair should be growing back. So much so, that you'd never know your dog had a hot spot.

Good luck