Whats Wrong With Max?

Guest QuickNLazy

Guest QuickNLazy

Any ideas/help?

Something is wrong with our boy Max (9 years old) at this point the vet doesn’t know what is wrong, but I hate just sitting by the phone waiting for an answer so I would like your opinions and ideas.

Around 12 a.m. Max woke me up, he was whining and he normally only does this when he wants to be let out, and even that is few and far between in the middle of the night. So I crawled out of bed and let him out. I could tell something wasn’t quite right with him, I stayed up with him a bit and then went back to bed because I had to be up for work in the morning.

Then around 3 a.m. he was whining again, I got up, let him out, watched him pee this time and let him back in. And went back to bed. At 4:30 he was whining again and this time when I let him out he just walked out, then turned around and wanted right back in. I let him in and husband stayed up with him for a while. When he came to bed he said there was definitely something wrong with Max, but he just didn’t know what exactly was wrong. We watched him for a bit and he just paces, whines and pants. He won’t lay down and won’t eat.

We took him to the vet this morning, and after the exam she thought it might be pancreatitis because his stomach was so sensitive to the touch. But the blood test for pancreatitis came back negative, they took x-rays and there is nothing blocking his intestines and his stomach is empty, but he is still in pain. They did a full blood panel and we will have the results tomorrow, but we are at home now and he is coming down from the Morphine. He sure has a lot of gas... maybe from the meds or could that have been the problem from the beginning?

Does anyone have any ideas what would make his stomach so tender to the touch? Or what would have caused him to be so uncomfortable?

Was his stomach hard and drum-like last night or soft to the touch? I would suspect some sort of bloating incident as pacing, whining, panting, and asking to go potty and not going are classic symptoms. That plus his current gaseous state seems to point to a gas build up.

Did your vet intubate his stomach? Did she ask if you'd given or suggest you should give Max a Tums or other anti-gas medicine?

How is he now? Hopefully he'll get all the gas out of his system, though it won't be fun for the people in the sae room! I would also fast him for a meal or two (though follow your vets advice).

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No answers, just hugs and hopes that you get some answers quickly. Also hope tonight is better for all of you.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Does sound GI (stomach/intestine) related.

You know how we humans feel with WE have gas! Have you tried a Pepcid AC, 20mg.? That might help.

Bloat does present like this, too, but if the vet ruled it out ... then, maybe it is just gas or upset stomach. Does he have diarrhea?

Good luck with this, and sending prayers and thoughts your way!

Guest QuickNLazy

Another tough night last night... we took him in first thing this morning. We had more X-Rays and an ultrasound done. It looks like he has kidney stones in his bladder and more in his kidneys. There is blood in his urine, but probably from the stones. His pancreas is inflamed. They have run the pacnreitis test twice and it still comes back negative. A full blood panel has been done but all levels are normal.

We will go back this evening to talk more to the doctor.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Poor bug. Hope the docs have some good options for getting rid of the stones.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.