Arghh! What Next?

Guest myjazzy

I hope that Gem continues to do great!

I wanted to comment on the induction of vomiting. I was told (and please others chime in!) that before you give hydrogen peroxide you should first "plump" their tummies up with a few slices of bread to make sure they've got enough in there to throw up.

We keep a loaf of cheap bread in the freezer just in case - and in the couple of times I've needed to induce vomiting in my greyhounds over the years we just nuke a few slices of bread (15 seconds or so) to take the ice off - and feed. They love the bread (but not what follows).

Guest myjazzy

Thanks for the tip. It makes sense. I'll keep it in mind, because although I would love never to have to induce vomiting again, I know I will have to at some point in time. On that note, is it better to use hydrogen peroxide or Ipecac to induce vomiting?

BTW, Gem is still doing fine. We are going in for blood work tomorrow to check her liver values, just to make sure she's ok.

Hydrogen peroxide.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest myjazzy

Update:

Gem's test results were fine, thank goodness, and she's still acting normal but I'll keep an eye on her since I got this email response from the mycologist. BTW, I found another kind of mushroom in the yard.

"You have a wee Panaeolus as well as a small (dangerous, potentially deadly!) Lepiota."

The Lepiota is the one she had in her mouth. I'm patrolling the yard any time they go out.

Last year, maybe the year before, on my whippet forum this happened. A girl was devistated. Her dog had a gorgeous litter and they were outdoors for only a few minutes, as long as it look for her to get all the pups carried out. They started to act weird. She carried them all back in . Long story short, all the pups except for the last 2 carried out died that day. The last 2 did not walk and eat mushrooms. She did not know they were in the shade area un the leaves. After hearing that my fear of all yard mushrooms went on high alert. I never trust any mushroom with dogs.

Ai yi yi. Lucky indeed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.