Projectile Poop

I knew that Mac Daddy would have some loose stools for a couple days when he first got home and on Saturday and Sunday, that's all it was. Yesterday and this morning, it's just liquid yuck. I cut his food back some and added rice to his dinner last night and breakfast this morning. Do you think I should just let this run its course until he gets adjusted to what I'm feeding (Inova Evo) or should I start him on some Immodium or is there something else I can try?

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest greytexplorer

This is what our GPA group told me to do when I fostered a boy:

gurgly tummy? give pepto bismol about 30 minutes before food

cowpie poop? give adult dosage kaopectate 30 minutes before food

brown water poop? give adult dosage imodium, and consider not feeding for 24 hours, or BRAT diet

hope this helps!

~Pat

Guest DoofBert

Was he de wormed? What kibble was he eating? Did you mix it with Inova or flash cut to Inova when he came to your home?

I'd err on the side of caution and have him checked at the vet. Projectile, watery poop always scares me.

Edited by DoofBert

Not all houndies can handle Evo -- mine couldn't, although it wasn't as dramatic as projectile poop, just never solid. After the vet check I'd put him back on something more akin to what he was eating before.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest oldNELLIE

This happened to Nellie when we first got her. I wanted to feed her a high quality food, and her stomach just couldn't take it. When she pooped it was like water. We now feed Hill's science diet for sensitive stomach and her diarrhea cleared up over night. She was also tested again and again for parasites and nothing was found. Good luck! It could just be nerves, too. Her poor belly!

He had another poop a few minutes ago while we were outside and this one was much better...far from good, but not watery or projectile. I've got to run up to the vets in a few minutes to pick up a crate so I'll take that sample in for testing. Hopefully, yesterday was just a glitch (or maybe it was that half a cup of coffee he slurped up Saturday night when I wasn't watching!!!).

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest mandm

Projectile always makes me think hook- or whipworms. Given his situation, I'd worm him a couple rounds with Panacur regardless of the fecal test results.

Oh brother. I feel I could have a degree in explosive poop and gurglies. I hope that it's just a case of settling in. I don't wish what we have been through on anyone.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FozzyBear

Fozzy was completely liquid when we brought him home and medically, he was cleared. So we were told to feed him nothing but potatoes and ground beef until it was better then start mixing in small bits of kibble. Eventually you increase the kibble and reduce the potatoes and meat until they're eating just kibble... worked for him.

I just reread your post and noticed the evo. My dogs can't tolerate that and they have pretty rock hard stomachs. Just a thought...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

His sample came back negative. I think the Evo might just be too rich for him right now. I spoke with the Adoption Kennel a little earlier and he's been eating whatever had been donated so he hasn't had a real steady diet of anything. I cut the Evo way back tonight and added canned pumpkin and rice. I'll see how that works and if he continues to have issues, I'll switch him to something else or try the ground beef and potato diet mentioned above to get him settled down. He doesn't really care what's in his bowl....if it's in there, he'll eat it. He's just really, really thin and I don't want him losing any more weight. He was at 86 lbs. when they took him in to be neutered (two weeks ago). He rode up to the vet's office with me today so I took him to meet all the girls and we weighed him. Their scales had him at 80.2 lbs. I'm hoping there's are off a bit.

siggie50_1.jpg