Vision Problems?

Guest KiKi_Girl

Guest KiKi_Girl

Lately (within the last 2-3 months) I have noticed that KiKi will sometimes get her hackles up and kind of grumble at people if they are about 50-100 feet in front of us walking towards us. I just took it that maybe the person was walking funny or wearing a hat, the breeze was blowing funny (who really knows)...becasue she doesn't do it everytime.

More recently I have noticed when I walk her to the end of my street, where there is a park, if people and/or dogs are off in the distance, she acts a little spooky and doesn't want to go in that direction.

Last night a guy, whom she has met numerous times, came down his steps and walked up to pet KiKi and she shyed away from him. She was fine once he got up to her, but it is not like her to shy away from people (she is my star meet & greet dog who will go up to anyone).

She has no other symptoms, no noticible pain nothing has changed and she is fine otherwise.

Do you think that maybe her eyesight is failing? I haven't noticed clouding of her lenses but I guess it could be the early stages???

BTW, She is 7 years old and otherwise no health issues.

Do you have stairs? My vet told me last week that dogs with vision trouble are often afraid of stairs.

Fear/caution at night or in very low light are also associated with reduced vision.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest KiKi_Girl
Do you have stairs? My vet told me last week that dogs with vision trouble are often afraid of stairs.

Fear/caution at night or in very low light are also associated with reduced vision.

Thanks. I live in a garden unit and she only has to go up 2 steps, but I haven't notice her having any problems.

I do notice that she does her little growls towards folks walking towards us in the morning or evenings, that is what made me think maybe it WAS her vision.

Guest 4greytful

it could be a number of things and a lot of them are treatable or at least treatable to the point of preventing further problems. No point in second guessing. If regular vet can't help, have them refer you to a vet opthomologist. We've experienced nuclear sclerosis, panus and cataracs over the years.

Guest KiKi_Girl

Thanks for all the comments. I worked for ophthalmologists (for humans) for 15 years so I'm very familiar with the aging eye - of people - just thought I would see if some of you with dogs that have had vision problems noted the same kinds of things with your dogs when/if they started losing their vision.

KiKi will be getting her check up soon.

Thanks again! :)