Toenail Completely Broken Off

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Taylor has a toenail on her rear left foot that broke off about three years ago. Since then, it has grown in kind of funny, looks kind of dead, but I just keep it trimmed, no more problems. Tonight, after her backyard zoomies, she came in trailing blood--it had broken off again. The first time it broke off I had just adopted her and got freaked out with the amount of blood, etc. So I took her to the ER, where they did an Xray to see if there was any toenail left up in the toe. They gave her morphine to do the Xray, and she had a horrible reaction to the morphine. So this time I decided to not rush to the ER, but I am not sure I am doing the right thing. I washed it off as best I could, soaked her foot in some betadine solution, and put on a clotting agent (clotisol). Surprisingly, Taylor screamed a lot through this procedure, which was really unnerving because she is usually very stoic when it comes to real pain and does the GSOD when she stubs her toe or something minor. Anyway, after I put on the clotisol and a little antibiotic spray, I put a gauze bandage around her foot and wrapped it in vet wrap up to her ankle, secured the top with elastikon. What I am wondering about is--how long should I keep it wrapped up? Should I remove the bandage tomorrow and see how it is doing and rewrap, or leave it wrapped for a few days? It was really bleeding a lot, as toenails do, so I thought it should stay wrapped for a bit but I am worried about infection. Is a vet visit in order, or should I wait and see if it gets problematic? Like I said, I am trying not to rush to the ER tonight but I also don't want to have to end up at the ER over the weekend because I didn't take care of it correctly!!

Maybe I should call my vet in the morning and ask what he thinks??

Thanks for any help!!!

Edited by taylorsmom

I'd give your vet a call in the morning and ask if pup should have antibiotics. You're doing fine so far :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

Call your vet in the morning and see what he thinks is what I would do. This is what I did when Henry tore a nail off, and vet gave me instructions over the phone on how ot handle it myself. I did pick up a round of antibiotics.

You'll want some antibiotics, re-wrap daily, but also soak in Epsom salt and let dry before re-wrapping.

I leave Ryan wrapped for 5 days or so as long as there is no quick exposed or just a very very tiny amt.

And last time he got pain meds to because you could tell he was hurting.

Guest taylorsmom

Thanks so much for the support and advice! I will definitely call the vet in the morning, it does sound like she should get a course of antibiotics too. Poor baby is sleeping soundly and has not yet fussed with her bright pink vet wrapped foot (I put some bitter lime gel on it to discourage biting!!).