If It's Not One Thing It's Another

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

Came home and Sadie is limping :angry::weep

She's been pokey lately on walks, so much so that she won't walk with Spud anymore. It's more than statuing she literally pulls back and will not move. Picture a mule who doesn't want to move...

Well Roy says that she started limping on the walk this afternoon, but *I* have noticed a slight limp on previous walks.

So she either stepped on something and since we live in the desert they are ALWAYS stepping on something or it's a corn.

The middle of her pad is hard. I've soaked it in epsom salts and rubbed her feet down with bag balm. I guess we just wait and see. If it's something in her pad and she doesn't stop limping in a couple of days with the epsom salt soaks we will go to the vet.

I'm wondering if it's a corn though... any thoughts?

IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8458.jpg

IMG_8458.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

Don't know what it is but it does look sore and you can quite imagine why she is wary of walking on that.

How does the combination of epsom salts and bag balm work? If the salts harden the pads and the bag balm softens them, I'm not quite sure how the combination works, though I have seen these both recommended for corn treatment before.

Edited by Ragsysmum

Sue from England

Looks more like a foreign body/abcess than a corn. Hard to tell from a pic, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look like any corn that I've seen (3 corn dogs in our pack and one that we boarded). Keep us posted, I'll be praying that it's nothing major! :hope

Doesn't look like a corn... kinda reminds me of a blood blister.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest BlackandBrindle

So I'm going to assume it's a bruise with a foreign body in it and keep soaking her foot to try and draw it out.

THat little puncture seems to always be there though and whenever she limps ( in the over 2 years we've had her) she limps on that foot.

Don't know what it is but it does look sore and you can quite imagine why she is wary of walking on that.

How does the combination of epsom salts and bag balm work? If the salts harden the pads and the bag balm softens them, I'm not quite sure how the combination works, though I have seen these both recommended for corn treatment before.

The salts don't harden the pad - they help draw out foreign bodies and make it easier to work a corn out.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I am just seeing this Mary Jo. When my horse had abscesses we used Epsom salt soaks to draw it out and dry it up.

Is she running a fever? Is the VF flaring? You said it was the same leg. Did you give her any medicine that might make a difference?

Shanti says just hold her foot. It will make it feel better. :P As I type with one hand. ;)

The Girls

Guest BlackandBrindle

Oh Jenny, I'm giggling because I am totally picturing it.

I haven't done anything but soak and bag balm it. She's not running a fever and it doesn't seem to be a flare up because demeanor-wise she's great.

I just got the titer results in front of me 1:16. Test again in a month or so... I'll try to get real pictures today. Last night I had the head lamp on and it was difficult :lol

Guest BlackandBrindle

Same time. My vet friend told me not to do it until two or three months because sometimes things don't change in a month.