Need Help With An Anxious Hound

Guest GriffinsMom

Guest GriffinsMom

Griffin has gotten more noise phobic and it is become an issue with his health. I live on the first floor of my house and rent the second floor to help with the mortgage. The floors are all hardwood or tile on the second floor so no matter that there is 3" of drywall and insulation between the two floors, sound still travels through to the first floor. The people living above me walk quite heavily and you can hear their dogs nails on the floor but they do not make an unusual amount of noise. I though about putting carpet upstairs ($3000.00 - $4500.00 installed) but I really cannot afford to do so and, as I rent to people with dogs, carpet is not my first choice.

Over the last three months, which is how long we have lived with the renters, Griffin has become highly agitated and anxious when he hears any noise above us. He pants, his nose drips, and he pases from room to room. His separation anxiety has now kicked in again and leaving for work is becoming an ordeal. Just recently he has refused to eat when he hears, or thinks he hears, anyone moving around above us when I am trying to feed him and Ava. Nothing bothers Ava, she is a rock.

I leave a radio on for them when I leave and I am picking up some "Relieve De Stress" natural stress relief which is similar to "Rescue Remedy" on the way home today. There is conflicting information as to giving the stress relieve remedy on an empty stomach or with food. Comments on this?

Has anyone had success with a stress relief supplement to help calm an anxious dog? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Sharon

Guest greyorkie

When T first got here...I made medium to loud noises on purpose. Then I'd look at him and say in my happy-voice "oopsie oopsie!" I know it sounds strange, but after working through it, no noises seem to bother him at all. As long as he could see that I wasn't bothered, he knew he didn't have to be "worried".

Hope it helps. I'm sure others probably have better suggestions. :)

This is just what worked for me to curb a problem ahead of time. (one that I've read about SO often...)

I've tried rescue remedy for Wayne but it did nothing. If I leave the house, the TV is always on and now with the weather here, the cooler is always on which also helps to muffle sound. He mainly just has a problem hearing the trash truck and makes himself sick when he hears it.

Although the sound problems I deal with are from the outside, easier to muffle than what you're going through. Wish I had a solution.

Please do keep us posted if you do find a solution. I would think there's a way to work with him to get past this, but I don't have the experience to know how to do that.

Hopefully someone here will

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest tumeria33

Try desensitization exercises with him. for instance, if you dog is afraid of thunder, play a tape of thunder noises. Start off soft and gradually increase the volume to find his threshold. While the tape is playing remain calm yourself and ignore the noise, also ignore the dog's behavior. Don't comfort him and tell him it is OK. I know it sounds cruel but by comforting him you are actually telling him that he SHOULD be afraid of the noise! You are in effect reinforcing his fear. Dogs look to you to be the leader. If the leader is calm and confident, then your dog will realize that there is nothing to be afraid of. Eventually you should be able to increase his threshold so that he doesn't respond as much to the noise. This is a process, but it can be done.

Guest rubysdad
Griffin has gotten more noise phobic and it is become an issue with his health. I live on the first floor of my house and rent the second floor to help with the mortgage. The floors are all hardwood or tile on the second floor so no matter that there is 3" of drywall and insulation between the two floors, sound still travels through to the first floor. The people living above me walk quite heavily and you can hear their dogs nails on the floor but they do not make an unusual amount of noise. I though about putting carpet upstairs ($3000.00 - $4500.00 installed) but I really cannot afford to do so and, as I rent to people with dogs, carpet is not my first choice.

Over the last three months, which is how long we have lived with the renters, Griffin has become highly agitated and anxious when he hears any noise above us. He pants, his nose drips, and he pases from room to room. His separation anxiety has now kicked in again and leaving for work is becoming an ordeal. Just recently he has refused to eat when he hears, or thinks he hears, anyone moving around above us when I am trying to feed him and Ava. Nothing bothers Ava, she is a rock.

I leave a radio on for them when I leave and I am picking up some "Relieve De Stress" natural stress relief which is similar to "Rescue Remedy" on the way home today. There is conflicting information as to giving the stress relieve remedy on an empty stomach or with food. Comments on this?

Has anyone had success with a stress relief supplement to help calm an anxious dog? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Sharon

You can have insulation blown in between the 2 floors. This will reduce some upstairs noise.

Are the renters and their dog(s) friendly? If so, it might help to do some exercise where they make a noise, you and pup go upstairs to see what it is, and they make an assortment of ordinary noises while you're up there. That way he can see what is causing the noises.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tigger

This has worked well for a friend of mine who has an anxious greyhound.

www.reconcile.com

Reconcile™ is a once-daily, chewable, flavored tablet for the treatment of separation anxiety in conjunction with a behavior modification plan.

Reconcile™, approved by the FDA, helps manage separation anxiety and improves your pet's receptivity to a simple training plan also called behavior modification. The four-step BOND™ training plan focuses on reinforcing positive behavior.

Reconcile™ and the BOND™ training plan form a logical, easy-to-follow program that makes it possible for you to treat and manage separation anxiety and restore a happy, healthy relationship with your pet.