Drinking Too Much Water

Guest oldNELLIE

Shannon, I am only just seeing this thread today, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Not knowing what's causing Nellie to drink excessively must be very frustrating.

I hope the tests are conclusive and will enable your vet to make a final diagnosis.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way! I am keeping my fingers tightly crossed. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After speaking to the vet we have desided to test first for the following...

Cushings, thyroid and kidney and the ADH. Also the possibility of a UTI is still on the table. He also mentioned cancer. :(

Please keep us posted and we've got got your little girl tucked in our prayers. You will get to the bottom of this, keep your spirits up. The good thing is while you're on a bit of a roller coaster ride, Nellie feels good and has no clue that something may be wrong.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest oldNELLIE

So, Nellie is scheduled to go in for a battery of test tomorrow. Here is the list...

Urinalysis, CBC, blood pressure, protein / creatinine, full thyroid check, and the test for cushings.

I know there is an answer in there somewhere!

Thanks again, everyone.

So, Nellie is scheduled to go in for a battery of test tomorrow. Here is the list...

Urinalysis, CBC, blood pressure, protein / creatinine, full thyroid check, and the test for cushings.

I know there is an answer in there somewhere!

Thanks again, everyone.

There has to be an answer. It'll be a long day for her, she's in my prayers. Hopefully for the Cushings they do the ACTH Supression and not the short cut ACTH Stim.

Will be anxious to hear! Good luck Nellie!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Nellie needs an answer! :hope Nellie needs an answer! :hope Nellie needs an answer! :hope Nellie needs an answer! :hope

Will keep her in our prayers until you get an answer.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greytbuds

Just checking to see if we got any news from Nellie's tests.

Hoping for something conclusive for you today!!

Greytbuds

Guest oldNELLIE

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone!

I dropped her off this am and now we are just waiting. She got a little mean with me last night, really snarling and growling. I don't know what that was about. It was a bit scary and very unlike her. I am praying for an answer today. The vet that is there today is not her normal vet, but she spent a lot of time this morning going over everything with me again, looking through her chart (remember she has already seen 2 vets in 2 visits for this, her regular and the e-vet) and asking me to clarify everything. I really appreciated that. I think she is in good hands so now we are just hoping for the best!

As an aside I am also going to grab a new bag of food for her. We opened a new bag on Wednesday night and this all started in earnest on Thursday. I called PetSmart and they hadn't heard about any problems or formula changes so I called the manufacturer and never heard back. I am just going to give it a shot. Can't hurt, right?

Guest oldNELLIE

I called to check in on Nell and asked how / what she was doing. The vet-tech said, "well, she's just kind of laying here." :rolleyes: She said she put extra blankets in with her because of her "boney" elbows. Hopefully she has made herself a nice little nest and isn't too uncomfortable. She has water and drank most of the bowl, but left some in it. So no news yet, but I can pick her up at 6:30. She can't eat before then...she is going to be MAD!

I called to check in on Nell and asked how / what she was doing. The vet-tech said, "well, she's just kind of laying here." :rolleyes: She said she put extra blankets in with her because of her "boney" elbows. Hopefully she has made herself a nice little nest and isn't too uncomfortable. She has water and drank most of the bowl, but left some in it. So no news yet, but I can pick her up at 6:30. She can't eat before then...she is going to be MAD!

Hmmm, better have some ice cream ready to make it up to her :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest oldNELLIE

Hi everyone!

The vet opted to send out all the test, so hopefully tomorrow we will have some news. Nellie seems to be calming down on the water front, she drank a couple of bowls of water over the course of last evening, but not all at once and with her breakfast she didn't finish the 1/2 bowl I gave her (4:30am). She did finish it before we went on our morning walk though.

Maybe she is flushing out what she needed to? We have a 10 day round of an antibiotic that I will start her on tonight (forgot to this morning and it has to be taken with food). She was in better spirits last night, too. No threatening snarls and growls in bed (but we did go out 3 times). I am feeling optimistic about her health, but fearful that these test will show no results and we still wont know what is going on. I think I am getting ahead of myself, but this has been a very expensive few days and we will have to wait to more test if these don't show anything. As long as she is seeming to be getting better, of course.

Hi everyone!

The vet opted to send out all the test, so hopefully tomorrow we will have some news. Nellie seems to be calming down on the water front, she drank a couple of bowls of water over the course of last evening, but not all at once and with her breakfast she didn't finish the 1/2 bowl I gave her (4:30am). She did finish it before we went on our morning walk though.

Maybe she is flushing out what she needed to? We have a 10 day round of an antibiotic that I will start her on tonight (forgot to this morning and it has to be taken with food). She was in better spirits last night, too. No threatening snarls and growls in bed (but we did go out 3 times). I am feeling optimistic about her health, but fearful that these test will show no results and we still wont know what is going on. I think I am getting ahead of myself, but this has been a very expensive few days and we will have to wait to more test if these don't show anything. As long as she is seeming to be getting better, of course.

Hang in there!! I know if they did a true test for Cushings it's expensive. Misty is in today for her ACTH and a kidney profile.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest trevdog

Sending lots of good thoughts....did you get the same type of food? I wonder if you did a diet of chicken and rice for a few days if that would help......it may be the food....

Guest oldNELLIE

Last night I grabbed a bag of the food she was on before this new brand. SD for sensitive stomachs. She always tolerated it well, so I didn't bother with a slow switch, I will just feed her this new bag and see if there are any changes. We have been feeding Nature's Recipe Easy to Digest for a few months now, but we opened a brand new bag on Wednesday night. Maybe it is just a bad batch. I never heard back from the company about any formula changes, but Pet Smart had not been notified of any. We'll see!

Guest oldNELLIE

So we haven't heard from the vet, I am going to give them a call in a few min. to see about the results from all the tests. But there is good news! As of last night, Nellie was drinking water like a totally normal dog. A few sips after a meal, a few after her walk...there was water left in her bowl all night and she didn't even finish it with her breakfast this morning! What in the world....?

I am thinking the improvement is one of three things. 1. The switch of food (started the new bag/brand on Tuesday night) 2. The antibiotics (as of the improvement last night she had been on them for 36 hrs.) or 3. Time.

by 9pm on Wednesday night she had drank 2 bowls of water and we had to go out to pee 5 times Wednesday night / Thursday morning. At 9pm on Thursday she was behaving normally.

You all have been so great through all of this...what are your thoughts? I am so confused (but happy)! I wonder what the test results will show, if anything. I'll keep you posted!

It'll be very interesting to hear what the tests show, but you may have answered your own question.

We'll stay tuned for the results

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest oldNELLIE

How were Misty's tests from the other day? I have been perusing your threads about her Cushings, but thankfully I haven't had to pour over them yet. I hope things are going well for your family too!

How were Misty's tests from the other day? I have been perusing your threads about her Cushings, but thankfully I haven't had to pour over them yet. I hope things are going well for your family too!

Thanks for asking about her. I'm afraid we lowered her Cortisol levels too much so we're dealing with that now. Typical Cushings ride. But the good news for us was her kidney profile looks great after 3 years with kidney disease.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg