Peggy's First Dental

Guest peggy

Guest peggy

Hello All,

I am writing to request information on what to expect for Peggy's first dental (since she's been home with me). The receptionist was not very generous with information when I set the appointment. I had to ask if I should restrict her food beforehand. What can you guys share with me? What should I do before, during and after to make sure Pegs comes through with flying colors? I know these are fairly routine procedures, but I am already nervous about it. Any information at all would be helpful!

Thanks in advance.

-Courtney

Did you adopt Peggy thru a greyhound adoption group? How old is Peggy? Has she had dentals previous to coming to live with you? Is the Animal Hospital to which you are taking her "grey savvy"? Is she having pre-anesthetic blood work done? Do you know what "number" she is on the schedule? Have you owned dogs before who had regular dentals? At that Animal Hospital?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but I wouldn't want to bog you down with too much detail or, heaven forbid, skip over something that is high on your list of priorities.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest peggy
Did you adopt Peggy thru a greyhound adoption group? Yes, NGAP in NE Philly

How old is Peggy? 6.5 years

Has she had dentals previous to coming to live with you? She had one (I think) at NGAP before I adopted her.

Is the Animal Hospital to which you are taking her "grey savvy"? Yes, I am having it done by the vet at NGAP, who does all Greys all the time. (Or at least mostly all Greys).

Is she having pre-anesthetic blood work done? I don't know. The receptionist didn't say, and I didn't know to ask.

Do you know what "number" she is on the schedule? The appiontment is at 2 pm. I was told to bring her in for the appointment time, that it would be about an hour and I'd be able to take her straight home.

Have you owned dogs before who had regular dentals? No.

At that Animal Hospital? No.

Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but I wouldn't want to bog you down with too much detail or, heaven forbid, skip over something that is high on your list of priorities.

Thanks for your help!

Courtney - If I remember correctly, NGAP has an entirely different approach to dentals from your average, neighborhood Veterinary Hospital. I would definitely contact Kathy (5blackgreys) to learn more. Feel free to chime in again if you need additional information.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead