Coats For The Summer

Guest swindypops

Guest swindypops

Hi I have just got back from walking on the beach with our beautiful grey Jim and our gorgeous lurcher Duke its a beautiful day here in England and I was wondering if anyone knows of coats availiable that help to keep greys cool . Poor Jim gets very hot quite quickly and I cool him down with water and sit in the shade for a bit but it would be nice to have a jacket that would keep him cool. thanx :colgate :

Hi there

Here's a link to a reflective coat on ebay which doubles as a rain coat.

Keep Kool coat

She has other sizes too, if you look around. I bought one for Doc a couple of years ago but, I have to say, British summers being what they are, it's been much more useful as a raincoat! I've only had to use it once or twice for sun, but when I did it worked fine. That was for walking in the midday sun though, rather than racing around in it - I'm not sure it or any other coat would be much help with the latter. Should we be lucky enough to get another really hot summer, my advice would be to keep any energetic exercise for early or late in the day, when the temperatures are cooler!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Honestly, I am not a fan of those "cool coats" that are made of terry cloth. The way to use them is to soak them in water, then put them on the dog. But here's the thing - to effectively cool a dog, the water would need to evaporate off the dog's skin. If the terry cloth is in the way, this is not going to happen.

Go ahead and slip your hand under the terry cloth after your dog has been wearing it a bit. It's pretty warm in there!

Better to simply soak the dog down periodically, provide cold water and/or ice cubes to drink, and leave it at that.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

The summer days here are always 115+ everyday. I didn't find the cool coats to work and the ones I've tried are heavy.

I do use the cool bandanas and they seem to really help but we walk well before the sun is up

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Hokiebuck

Yeah...I vote against the cool coat as well. Plus it doesn't really get to the "cooling points" anyway (ie arm pits, stomach, groin etc). What I do on hikes etc is to bring a camelback backpack with icewater in it, with a bowl. Give him water to drink then spray him off especially hitting the cooling points.

Guest swindypops

Thanx for your swift replies we also walk before it gets to hot so at least im doing all i can ,sounds as if a cool coat is not the way to go its good to have a place where there is a wealth of advice and experience thankyou

Guest Cris_M

Not a coat, but this seems to work pretty well, and I live in Georgia!

I like those neckband ties that a filled with aquaphyllic crystals. They are the kind that you soak in water for several hours and the crystals get large and soft. If it is really hot, I will put the neckband in the refrigerator when it isn't being used.

Usually, you can pick one of these up at a fair type event. They are sold for people, but work for greys, too.

One suggestion. If you get one and use it, make sure it is closer to the body than the leash is. If it is above the leash, it will fall off as soon as your dog bends down to sniff something.

Honestly, I am not a fan of those "cool coats" that are made of terry cloth. The way to use them is to soak them in water, then put them on the dog. But here's the thing - to effectively cool a dog, the water would need to evaporate off the dog's skin. If the terry cloth is in the way, this is not going to happen.

Go ahead and slip your hand under the terry cloth after your dog has been wearing it a bit. It's pretty warm in there!

Better to simply soak the dog down periodically, provide cold water and/or ice cubes to drink, and leave it at that.

I agree

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08