Teeth Question.

Guest BLIsStillFlying

Guest BLIsStillFlying

My 10 year old has had horrible teeth since I adopted him at age 2. I got him as a teenager and he had some aggression issues, so his teeth didn't see a toothbrush (and saw plenty of Beneful...no offense to anyone who feeds it, but I'm convinced it...well, wasn't good for his teeth, let's just say) for years. At age 6 I started brushing his teeth and got him a dental, where the vet told me his teeth were atrocious and he would start losing major teeth (molars and canine) within a year. He only removed a front tooth. Shortly after we moved I fed him a higher quality food and found a new vet, who has managed to keep all his not-so-pearly-whites in his head until now. He goes for his yearly dental next week with a forewarning that he may come back with less than he started.

I brush his teeth about four times a week, he gets quality kibble and his pick of chew treats, but I'm wondering--how many teeth do they need to still eat hard kibble? I know the front teeth and canines are not important, but how many molars would you wager? Every time I give him an oral inspection I get a little more worried. His last dental the vet said his teeth were amazingly firm for the amount of receding that had happened, but didn't see it lasting him too long. The boy just has a nasty mouth.

Also, he's always been freakishly picky about his choice of chew toy, getting worse and worse over the years until today he chewed on a bully stick (his usual favorite) and I was overjoyed--his first chew choice in two months. Could it be his teeth getting worse and therefor not enjoying chewing? Two years ago we also added his now 7 year old brother who *loves* chews and takes them the second Brad drops them and looks away. Any ideas on delectable chews to entice him? The only two things he'll even consider (and it's seriously 3 out of 10 times he'll actually chew them) are Dingos and bully sticks.

So...any advice for his rotting teeth? Or do they sound a bit too far gone? I've been fighting the good fight against gum disease for four years and I worry it's about to claim his chompers. My vet is fairly young and Brad 'n Mel are the first greyhounds he's ever even *seen*, so we often learn together about their intricacies. He had no ideas greyhounds had such gnarly teeth and doesn't know why my diligence isn't paying off. I even used that horrible Science Diet Prescription dental food for awhile until the ingredients just disgusted me.

Anyone else in the advanced stages of a dying gum line?

Edited by BLIsStillFlying

I recently had a discussion with my vet about Misty's gums, they have been the cause of her losing teeth.

He told me what would be a big help and could save her teeth is to not only brush her teeth but use a water pik. Well, I knew as did he that there was no way Misty was going to put up with that.

He said the next best thing is to use a flushing syringe which he gave me and I've been using it faithfully now for almost a month. He swears it'll save her front teeth where the pockets are pretty deep.

She takes it very well but really hates it on her front teeth, but I manage to do it.

Good luck with your boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest luckydog

Your dog may not have bad teeth, per se, but gingivitis/gum disease. That can lead to tooth loss and bacterial infections throughout their bodies.

Guest BLIsStillFlying
Your dog may not have bad teeth, per se, but gingivitis/gum disease. That can lead to tooth loss and bacterial infections throughout their bodies.

I should have said 'bad mouth'--he does have severe gum disease, thus the receding gum line. It seems to just keep getting worse the older he gets despite my dedication.

When I adopted Polli- she was 8.5 and had the worst breath in the world. She was able to stink up our 3200 sq foot house just from being there. it was awful. We had her first dental done and she lost 17 teeth. She had no problem with kibble (we used evo small bites) rawhide and oh boy, did she love her bully sticks! I know there are a lot of dogs on GT who have had more teeth removed and do just fine.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Blast is the same way... Gum diseasse has taken all but 4 of his teeth. I spray his gums daily with Enzadent oral rinse and it still doesn't help. Now, his brother Bullet only had 1 tooth pulled ever... Weird being from the same litter in all...

Guest BLIsStillFlying

It's good to know that people are going through the same thing. It's hard not to feel guilty that I was ignorant of dental health for so many years of his life, but his younger brother Melvin is 7 and in his previous home they never touched his teeth; he's getting his first dental with Bradley next week and my vet is amazed at the difference. Teeth are darn near perfect.

I tried an oral gel on Bradley a few years ago but I didn't notice any difference at all. He won't touch any dental chews. The dental food was made of questionable ingredients and I didn't notice a difference there either.

I'm glad he'll still be able to eat solids even with many teeth missing. I just wanted to know if I could slow down or stop the gum disease at this advanced of a stage.

Thanks for the responses.

Guest KennelMom

Our bridge boy Grandpa had nary a tooth in his head. Our bridge girl Erin had one canine tooth..Erin lost her at 12 when we adopted her.. Gramps lost most of his at 10 when we adopted him and the rest at 12 when the gum/tooth disease got too bad. Rotting teeth and gums can really hurt and cause illness from the bacteria. Best to have them pulled. Gramps and Erin both ate regular nibble with no problems.

Ecstasy lost 22 teeth when she retired from the breeding farm at 9.5. It never slowed her down a bit, though she did have to use her paws to manuever a bullystick, etc. to a spot where upper and lower teeth would meet. BTW, she had annual dentals thereafter and didn't loose any additional teeth.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.