I Need Your Help!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Hi - Spencer has split open the webbing between his toes and had it stitched once but it split again so had it stitched again and now once again he has split the webbing for the third time! I need some sort of bootie thing to put on his foot to protect it while it's healing and to keep him from licking it. The catch here is that it's on his left foot and that's his weak leg that he has trouble feeling and can't always tell if his foot is on the ground or not. This is all due to some compressed discs he has in his back. Right now I have a Therma Paw on his foot but it's too heavy and he buckles/knuckles his foot constantly in it and I need him to be able to walk as normally as he can. So I'm looking for something lightweight and waterproof. Anyone have any ideas? I have got to get this foot healed!!

My girl Tehya split her webbing a few months ago too. The vet said there was not enough skin to sew it back together, so they sewed it to the sides of her toes - if that makes sense. She no longer has webbing between those toes. Maybe this is why Spencer's webbing keeps tearing.

Anyway, our life saver was Pawz Dog boots. www.pawzdogboots.com.

Nichole

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

My girl Tehya split her webbing a few months ago too. The vet said there was not enough skin to sew it back together, so they sewed it to the sides of her toes - if that makes sense. She no longer has webbing between those toes. Maybe this is why Spencer's webbing keeps tearing.

Clark did the same thing several years ago and my vet did the same thing as Nichole's vet. Instead of trying to repair the webbing (he said it rarely works). No webbing but it healed very quickly. I just used a felt bootie to keep it clean when he went out.

Hope Spencer is feeling better soon.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guest Spencers_Greyt

When I talk to my vet I'll suggest the toe thing since obviously the webbing isn't working! Socks don't help because they're not waterproof and Spencer likes to spend time outside on the lawn. I'll check out the pawz link. Thanks!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Anyway, our life saver was Pawz Dog boots. www.pawzdogboots.com.

Nichole

Hi - I forgot to ask what size you purchased? The size chart says Medium for Greyhounds but wanted to check with you first.

I have the purple one which I believe are large. Until you get them you can put cling wrap or saran wrap over his foot, then a felt bootie or sock. That will keep it dry when he goes out, I've had to do that before.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guest Greensleeves
I have the purple one which I believe are large. Until you get them you can put cling wrap or saran wrap over his foot, then a felt bootie or sock. That will keep it dry when he goes out, I've had to do that before.

Same here, except the sock goes on *first.* Then you just have to rubber band (or hair scrunchie) a baggie over the socked foot when they go outside.

Right now I have a Therma Paw on his foot but it's too heavy and he buckles/knuckles his foot constantly in it and I need him to be able to walk as normally as he can.

It sounds like the TheraPaw is too big. He shouldn't be knucking/buckling under if the boot was the correct size.

I used the purple PAWZ, too, before getting the TheraPaw, with a 3 to 6 month infant sock first, then the Pawz. Worked like a charm! Of course, they aren't meant to be worn to race around the yard, but for walks on a leash, they worked great for us.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I have the large booties in purple also. I love those things!

We could not use the Thera-paws because her foot was bandaged and wrapped. After the bandage came off we still used the Pawz bootie and then the Thera-paw for walks - Thera - paws are not waterproof.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org