Chronic Diarrhea

After 8 months of diarrhea, weight loss and loss of appetite, Spencer finally has a diagnosis of Clostridial enteritis. His poop smells so absolutely vile that I thought analyzing it should tell us something! After reading an article on this Clostridium bacterium, I asked the vet to have the lab include it in the culture, which they don't normally do. It's normally present in the intestines but the microbiologist that did the interpretation said Spencer's number of them was "way, way, way, way beyond what's expected." Here's the link to the article:

http://www.petshealt...rary/clost.html

ETA: the above link used to be a good article; now it's a hard-to-access site with lots of ads! (3/13/10)

Some of you may remember that six weeks ago or so, I was asking whether GTers thought we should give in and get endoscopy or surgical biopsy. turns out the endoscopy can't even get to the small intestine, which is where his trouble is, and even the internist wasn't advising getting out the scalpel quite yet!

I don't know if we're totally out of the woods. He may have more than one problem. Like, we know he has malabsorption and a supposedly permanent inability to make B12 in his gut. But this is the closest we've come to a cause of his problems, and I could not possibly be more thrilled!!! He'll take Simplicef, a cephalosporin antibiotic, for three weeks and then we'll see where we are.

Woo-hoo!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Scouts_mom

Wonderful that you finally have a diagnosis for sweet Spencer! :wub::):wub: I hope he heals right up. It is interesting that they suggest azulfadine for some cases. I have ulcerative colitis and use azulfadine to keep it under control. (I use a coated version as the plain version makes me sick to my stomach.)

Guest houndlover

Wonderful news that you finally have an answer (or at least most of one). I hope that Spencer will be well on his way to recovery with the antibiotics.

That's a great article. Interesting the possible link to HGE. Also the use of tylosin powder for management. Has Spencer been tested for SIBO?

I hope he feels better soon. :kiss2

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

That's a great article. Interesting the possible link to HGE. Also the use of tylosin powder for management. Has Spencer been tested for SIBO?

I hope he feels better soon. :kiss2

Thanks so much! He starts his med this a.m.

How DO you test for SIBO? The vet seemed to think that since the tylosin didn't appear to have much effect, that was a vote against SIBO. But he has a severe overgrowth of clostridium bacteria, and there's good reason from his bloodwork to suspect it's in the small bowel, so it would seem he does have Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth! The microbiologist is the one that recommended he take one of three antibiotics, none of which was tylosin, but maybe that's because tylosin too mild. It may yet be that he'll have a long-term tendency toward Clostridium that tylosin will keep under control after the Simplicef knocks out the acute overgrowth.

What's really interesting is that neither the vet nor the internist suggested doing a fecal culture, although the internist agreed when I suggested it. I wouldn't have known to do that if not for that article. And if we hadn't done it, we'd still be talking about doing a surgical biopsy! Which brings me back to: How do you test for SIBO if not with fecal culture? Oh, I just noticed you posted a link on SIBO, so I'll go read it! :blush

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Has Spencer been tested for SIBO?

THAT is an interesting article. I'll give it to my vet along with the Clostridium article she asked for. Thank you SO much!

Thank you SO much!

You're so welcome - I'll be looking for good updates from Spencer. :thumbs-up

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest mandm
How do you test for SIBO if not with fecal culture?

As far as I know, the most common & practical way to test for SIBO is the cobalamin/folate test, a fasting blood test, sent to Texas A & M's GI Lab. It's generally done along with the TLI (EPI test). Didn't you already do that one?

Here's a link to interpreting the results of the cobalamin/folate test

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/assays/b12folate.shtml

How do you test for SIBO if not with fecal culture?

As far as I know, the most common & practical way to test for SIBO is the cobalamin/folate test, a fasting blood test, sent to Texas A & M's GI Lab. It's generally done along with the TLI (EPI test). Didn't you already do that one?

Here's a link to interpreting the results of the cobalamin/folate test

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/assays/b12folate.shtml

You're right, we did test for cobalamin/folate and TLI at Texas A&M. He was positive for the former and negative for the latter. The TA&M interpretation said this was consistent with some unspecified disease of both the proximal and distal small intestine or with SIBO. Unfortunately, my vet interpreted Spencer's non-response to Tylan as meaning it was "probably not SIBO." I guess what really happened is we didn't treat long enough with Tylan at a high enough dose, and/or the overgrowth was too strong for that particular medication. I wonder how often this happens, since Tylan seems to be the drug of choice when SIBO is suspected. :(

Guest zoolaine

I am so glad you finally have an answer to what is going on with poor Spencer. Hope he flourishes with the new treatment. Please keep us posted.

Guest mandm

My greyhound also did not seem to respond much to Tylan. But since it did not seem to negatively affect him, I kept him on it, for over one year. I suspected that it helped, in small, subtle ways. Could be that he would have gotten much worse without the Tylan. Who knows?

It was radical diet change that really made the difference for my greyhound. The diet change was made while he had already been on Tylan over 6 months. Perhaps the diet change would not have been as dramatically effective had I not set the stage with Tylan. I'll never know exactly what it was that fixed him. I suspect it was correct alignment of the stars.