Seizures

woolfy

We got Julie in August of 08 and we noticed something strange about her on walks. She would just stop and stare in space it would last for about 5 minutes and then she would be normal. As time went by it would be less frequent. But this week I let her out to potty she did a few laps and when she came back both rear legs were spasming. Took her to the vet and he thinks she was having a form of seizure because of the staring and the legs spasm's. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Woolfy

100_1801.jpg

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kunder

St. Charles Mo.

Litter#: Tuf 72180 Crossed over the Bridge 7-5-05, D.O.G. 55539 Cross over the bridge, Peek-A-Boo 60707 Cross over the bridge, Romeo 97537, Julie 26989

Next time she does it, try and get her attention. Stand in front of her calling her name and see if she makes eye contact with you and recognizes you. If she does it's not seizures. Most dogs with seizures do not respond when called by their name, they aren't even aware that you're there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Some dogs will most definatley respond during a seizure. Especially focal and generalized seizures. My grey who is having seizures, is conscious and will move his eyes to sounds and if i try to move away from him he will try to follow me (a big uncoordinated dangerous mess of legs and big grey body). His seizures he stiffens, arches his back, neck outstretched with pupils dilated. He then slowly collapses to the floor. The whole episode alsts 2-3min.

Seizures have many different forms and are usually characterized by a stiff posture, dilated eyes, focused look, and twitching of muscles. It can be any combination of these and other symptoms. There are a bunch of people with different experiences with seizures here and lots of info. Good luck :)

What you describe could be many things that can be tested for (via blood, urine ect lab work) or it could be liek many of us and because there is no known cause it gets lumped into the seizure category.

Staring sounds like statuing.

Leg spams sounds like too much running for her current condition -- the muscles will spasm when they get tired.

Hope that's all it is. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

Seizures can vary so much it can make it so confusing to know wether or not your dog has had them. Some seizures they will be able to recognize you, some they won't. Henry's grand-mals, he would never recognize me. His focals, he gets glassy eyed, and I havent really tested wether or not he would recognize me, I just be quiet and leave him alone. I had a pointer mix that had more severe focal seizures due to brain trauma, (I used to think they were petit mal, now I know they were not) and he would lean his head on me during the seizures, so he was obviously recognizing me, and has even taken a few steps while in seizure. His seizures and Henry's seizures are not at all similar. Henry has focals too, but his focals are much milder than my pointer's focals were. Henry's Grand-Mals however are way more severe than any seizure my pointer had. I'm just rambling on now, :blah so I'll hush up. :lol

With that said, I really think BatMom's guess is most likely the right guess.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest greymomrn

Hello,

My 5 and one-half YO M grey just began having seizures. I am looking for anyone with info or experience who can share with me. I read about "seizure odor" on this site. What is that? I started him on meds and the vet says we have a 50/50 chance of idiopathic epilepsy vs. brain tumor. I am trying to process this any suggestions or info. This site was highly recommenced to me by the rescue where I got him. I have his same litter brother as well.

Thank You.

Idiopathic seizures usually start between the ages of 3 - 5 years. Your pup is right on the border so it's entirely possible that it's epilepsy vs. a brain tumor. I have a litter of 4 and only one has seizures so it is possible to have litter mates and none of the others have seizures.

If you would like a site with lots of helpful information go to http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee