No Bite Collars

I found the website where to order the soft no bite collars (www.handicappedpets.com), but I am a little bit late ordering. Does anyone know of any other sites that have them?

My girl Savvy had surgery and needs one. Normally, she doesn't bother them, but she is on this one. She has a fairly rare connective tissue cancer (not fibrosarcoma). It on her back leg and you can wrap her leg at this location very well.

Suzanne and Savvy (my beautiful white girl)

Check out this thread for instructions on making a home made "bite-not" collar.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=220089&hl=

I don't know if their delivery time is any faster, but I ordered mine (several years ago) from Omaha Vaccine:

http://omahavaccine.com/search_product_lis...?search=bitenot

You could also do a search on this site for "greyhound legging" and see if you think making a pair would do the trick.

I hope Savvy has a complete recovery.

Thanks! I am going to try to make one from the site. I had heard rumors there was a way to make a homemade one. I am going the homeopathic route. I don't think I want to do radiation on her leg. She turned 11 last November.

The name of the cancer is hemangiopericytoma. Long name and hard to spell. She had a tumor removed from the same area 15 months ago, but the diagnosis was fibrosarcoma.

Suzanne

Guest Greensleeves

Did MangosMom ever end up posting the instructions? I haven't been able to find them (and I've been through that thread a couple of times).

Anyone have a direct link or a quote of the actual tutorial?

Thanks!!

Since I can't for the life of me figure out how to link to the original thread, I copied the article in here for you. Good luck with the collar, although I don't know how well it will actually work for a leg wound. And moreso, good luck with Savvy and her cancer.

Posting the article I wrote for my adoption group with info on making your own Bite-Not Collar. Information contained within, though, is all compliments of the posters on GT, without whom I would not have known about this.

The Cone, or E-Collar (short for Elizabethan Collar, as it looks like the ruffs worn in Elizabethan England) has traditionally been the standard prescription for keeping dogs from licking wounds or surgical sites. Our dogs hate them because it effectively blinds them to all but what is directly in front of them, and sometimes scares them with the noise it makes as they bang into things while moving about. If you're like me, you hate them, too, simply because your dog hates it. But it's a necessary evil, as you may have learned if you've had an injured dog that managed to lick a minor wound down to the bone, as happened to me.

A new alternative is available now: The Bite-Not Collar . This is the animal version of a cervical collar traditionally worn by humans to treat neck injuries. When used on a dog, it prevents them from being able to bend their necks far enough to reach most body injuries. It won't unfortunately, keep them from reaching spots on their legs.

You can also make one simply, and quickly, with a bath towel (for larger dogs, like our greyhounds) and duct tape. Take a bath towel and fold it lengthwise in 1/4s or 1/3s depending on the length of your dog's neck. The object is to have it cover the neck from just behind the ears to the shoulder. After folding lengthwise, fold the towel in half. Wrap it around the neck, making sure it's snug enough to not slip forward over the head, but not so tight as to be uncomfortable. Secure with duct tape (or vet wrap, or as I have done, with Velcro One-Wrap, available in most craft stores).

Mangosrecovery122808-1.jpg

Voila' - you're done, and your dog is far more comfortable than with a cone banging around their head. It's padded, quiet, and fully washable. Your dog will thank you!

Lubs, licks and helicopter tails from the hounds at Greyhounds Unlimited!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

I just ordered a collar from Omaha Vaccine with two day delivery. Today is the weekend and I am making something temporary for her to get her through to Monday. The wound is seeping a bit still. Not any worse though.

Guess I have been lucky with no one bothering their sutures much until this time. Now I want to always have them on hand. Thanks much for the everyone's help!

Suzanne

Since I can't for the life of me figure out how to link to the original thread, I copied the article in here for you. Good luck with the collar, although I don't know how well it will actually work for a leg wound. And moreso, good luck with Savvy and her cancer.

Posting the article I wrote for my adoption group with info on making your own Bite-Not Collar. Information contained within, though, is all compliments of the posters on GT, without whom I would not have known about this.

The Cone, or E-Collar (short for Elizabethan Collar, as it looks like the ruffs worn in Elizabethan England) has traditionally been the standard prescription for keeping dogs from licking wounds or surgical sites. Our dogs hate them because it effectively blinds them to all but what is directly in front of them, and sometimes scares them with the noise it makes as they bang into things while moving about. If you're like me, you hate them, too, simply because your dog hates it. But it's a necessary evil, as you may have learned if you've had an injured dog that managed to lick a minor wound down to the bone, as happened to me.

A new alternative is available now: The Bite-Not Collar . This is the animal version of a cervical collar traditionally worn by humans to treat neck injuries. When used on a dog, it prevents them from being able to bend their necks far enough to reach most body injuries. It won't unfortunately, keep them from reaching spots on their legs.

You can also make one simply, and quickly, with a bath towel (for larger dogs, like our greyhounds) and duct tape. Take a bath towel and fold it lengthwise in 1/4s or 1/3s depending on the length of your dog's neck. The object is to have it cover the neck from just behind the ears to the shoulder. After folding lengthwise, fold the towel in half. Wrap it around the neck, making sure it's snug enough to not slip forward over the head, but not so tight as to be uncomfortable. Secure with duct tape (or vet wrap, or as I have done, with Velcro One-Wrap, available in most craft stores).

Mangosrecovery122808-1.jpg

Voila' - you're done, and your dog is far more comfortable than with a cone banging around their head. It's padded, quiet, and fully washable. Your dog will thank you!

Lubs, licks and helicopter tails from the hounds at Greyhounds Unlimited!

I will try this tonight. I have lots and lots of vet wrap! Greyt!

:colgate

When our vet suggested an E-collar for Martin, we tried a duct-taped muzzle instead. It worked just fine.

Oh, I LIKE that idea! Have to file it away "just in case"!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Greensleeves

MangosMom, THANK YOU!!!

I was wondering if it really was just as simple as a towel + Velcro, or if it was more involved. I LOVE this solution. We have a Bite-Not, but Jenny chewed the clasp off :rolleyes and I have never gotten around to replacing it.

We actually have two of the Comfy Cone collars (one I ordered from that link, and one I made when they were backordered. The one I made has a few improvements, such as internal boning for support, and it's made of all machine-washable materials). We and the dogs love them, but they're not as rigid as a Bite-Not or e-collar... which makes them ideal in that they're comfortable and the dogs don't mind them in the slightest... but for instances where you really need the rigid structure or immobility, they're not the best choice.

I'm excited to add the Towel Collar to our arsenal of wound protection!

Mango lived in hers for almost eight weeks. It probably would work better with two strips of velcro, but I was lazy and only did the one. That just meant that I had to make sure that side where the ends of the towel overlapped had to be kept turned away from the side her incision was on.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest arlosmom

We also use a muzzle with a cup. My husband drilled holes in the cup for better breathing and fastened it on the muzzle. However I like the idea of the towel but can they not still get to some parts of there bodies with it? O don't think the muzzle is too comfy for sleeping although mine take it pretty well.

Guest Greensleeves
Mango lived in hers for almost eight weeks.

Wow--what a lucky girl to have the comfy home-made version, then! Nelly had to wear an e-collar for five weeks after ear surgery, and substitutes wouldn't have been an option--she needed the rigid e-collar to protect the ear as it healed. It... was a tough five weeks. :lol