Getting A Stomach "pouch"

Guest Giselle

Guest Giselle

Another health question:

I took Giselle to the vets and discovered that her weight is a mere 55-56 pounds. She tends to fluctuate around 57-60, so she's at a pretty light weight right now. However, I've noticed that the skin around her "tuck up" is sagging, like she's gained excess weight. I know older female cats would get this saggy stomach pouch, but I wasn't aware that it would be this pronounced on dogs as well. Is this a normal thing for aging greys, or is there an underlying problem? It looks like she doesn't even have a "tuck up" anymore :huh

Sadly, my females didn't live long enough to develop one of those, but both males did. I'd guess by about 11 or 12 they were beginning to lose the tuck, and by 13 it had pretty much gone. They also had saggy neck skin. Both were seen frequently by vets at this age and there was no underlying medical problem detected. It was just that the muscles and ligaments had softened with age and everything was going south.

I'm not sure Renie would ever have gone like that, because she had a very, very slender, tight tuck, but I think Suze would have. She was quite a stocky girl.

But it's worth getting the older ones checked over from time to time to rule out metabolic disorders etc. There are some things that can cause fluid to accumulate - Cushing's and heart disease, for example.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

But it's worth getting the older ones checked over from time to time to rule out metabolic disorders etc. There are some things that can cause fluid to accumulate - Cushing's and heart disease, for example.

Ditto that. Enlarged spleen is another one.

She isn't old enough to have "old dog's sag" except maybe a little fluff in her chest area.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Giselle

The vet did a thorough physical and couldn't feel anything abnormal in her abdominal as I did notify her of the sag, so she paid particular attention to that area. However, we won't know anything definitively until the bloodwork comes back Thursday. I will try to get a picture up soon, but I'm busy catching up with other matters so it may take a few days. I'll post a "before" pic of when her tuck-up was really defined, too.

I guess the best analogy is that she looks more like an AKC grey in regards to her tuck-up, but maybe it's just my hypervigilant eye. She's only 7!