Boris' Dental Is Tomorrow

Guest gritsnc

Guest gritsnc

Please say a little prayer for him. I'm so worried that he won't make it through because of his age and declining health. He had a yummy dinner tonight....Grilled New York Strip Steak and macaroni and cheese!

I was so worried when my older greyhound (11 1/2) went in for his dental about a year ago. The vet and I discussed it in great detail and she thought that my boy would do OK (he did have a slight heart murmur and was starting to slow down). I delayed it twice and then finally decided that I had to go ahead and take care of any issues because they could have a severe impact later by causing bacteriological infections which are a big issue with the heart murmur. He came through the dental better then I ever imagined, they didn't have to pull any teeth and the teeth were better than they thought. He ended up eating soft food later that day. He was a little quieter for a day or two but then was back to his old self. One note though, if I remember correctly, we started him on antibiotics before the surgery.

Lighting a candle for your grey ...

Ask them to go light with the gas. It made a big difference when Polli had her dental at 9.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest gritsnc

I just got the call a bit ago that Boris did fine. He ended up having 6 teeth pulled. I can pick him up after 3pm, so I'll post an update later. Thanks for the prayers!

Guest gritsnc
I just got the call a bit ago that Boris did fine. He ended up having 6 teeth pulled. I can pick him up after 3pm, so I'll post an update later. Thanks for the prayers!

Wonderful, that's great news!!! Are they giving you antibiotics to take home?

yes...she said she's giving us antibiotics and pain meds. What should I feed him tonight? Will he even feel like eating since he had teeth pulled? She told me that he probably won't feel well at all tonight. :(

yes...she said she's giving us antibiotics and pain meds. What should I feed him tonight? Will he even feel like eating since he had teeth pulled? She told me that he probably won't feel well at all tonight. :(

They're all so different so you'll have to play it by ear. Misty just had 4 pulled but she has a hard time with the anesthetic so she wanted no part of food that night. I managed to ger to take a Tramadol with yogurt.

She's on soft food for 2 weeks. I was using the Natural Choice canned but now she's back on the KD canned.

Anything soft, I know quite a few people scrambled eggs which is a great idea

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

If they say that he can be fed tonight then Yogurt (as noted in previous post) would be good if dairy is tolerated-- It's soft and it's cool. Canned dog food would also work if mixed with yogurt or warm water to make a soup mixture. Don't feed right after getting home, let him settle in and sleep for a few hours ...

Guest gritsnc

Y'all, I'm really nervous. He's panting so hard. He's laying down, but his mouth is just hanging wide open, he's drooling like crazy and panting non stop. Is that normal? The vet gave him a morphine shot right before we left and we also have pain meds (I just gave him one) and antibiotics. The pain medicine is Previcox 227mg. She told me to give him 1/2 a tablet per day.

His panting really has me worried though. :(:unsure

If he had pain meds before coming home, I'm surprised the vet didn't say to hold off on the pain meds until either much later or in the am.

Drooling is normal, even some bleeding but I'm not sure about the panting. Maybe once the meds kick in he'll be more comfortable. Don't be afraid to call and ask the vet if you're concerned.

Just a side note about yogurt, be sure that whatever antibiotic they gave you can be taken with dairy, some can not. If it's Clavamox or baytril, you're ok with dairy.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest gritsnc

I gave him a pain pill about an hour ago and I think it's kicking in because his breathing isn't as bad and he is sooo doped up. I thought he was dead at one time because he was hardly moving, his tongue was hanging out of his mouth and his eyes were open with a blank stare. My 11 year old sounded panicked and started crying and said "Mommy, he's not breathing!!!!". I flew out of the chair and went running over to him. He was breathing. He hasn't moved much at all. Occasionally, he'll lift his head up and pant some, but nothing like he was earlier. He's really out of it right now.

I gave him a pain pill about an hour ago and I think it's kicking in because his breathing isn't as bad and he is sooo doped up. I thought he was dead at one time because he was hardly moving, his tongue was hanging out of his mouth and his eyes were open with a blank stare. My 11 year old sounded panicked and started crying and said "Mommy, he's not breathing!!!!". I flew out of the chair and went running over to him. He was breathing. He hasn't moved much at all. Occasionally, he'll lift his head up and pant some, but nothing like he was earlier. He's really out of it right now.

I'm glad he seems to be resting more comfortably now. Misty was pretty out of it all night. She layed on the electric blanket and didn't want to move. Anesthesia lowers their body temp so keep him warm.

Hopefully he'll be ready to eat in the morning if not later tonight.

Feel better handsome boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest gritsnc

We had an uneventful night...yay! I was finally able to get him up a few minutes ago and he went outside to go potty. He also ate some canned food and he's drinking water now. Last night, he wanted nothing. I'm going to go to cook him up some chicken and rice today for the next few days.

Thankfully, we haven't noticed much bleeding at all. He's also stopped drooling. I think he's going to heal up really nice!