Pet Oxygen Masks For Fire Departments

I wasn't sure where to post this but I received the following email from a friend at work who does a lot of volunteer works for the Amelia (Virginia) Humane group. It's pretty amazing what this young lady is doing....

"Good Afternoon and Happy Friday! I am not sure if you have heard about this or not but incase you haven't I want to share this with you. This past Wednesday on CBS 6, Virginia This Morning there was a 11 year old girl from Powhatan County named Monica Plumb who is raising money to equip fire departments with pet oxygen masks. Here is a link to the video clip from the Virginia This Morning show. You have to click on the video "Pet Masks" http://www.wtvr.com/Global/category.asp?C=...mp;nav=menu79_1. These masks may help save pets lives. Monica explains on her website which is http://www.petmask.com/, that Pets are often more vulnerable to smoke inhalation in fires because they hide. Unfortunately human oxygen masks don't fit properly on them and the human masks can't be used to provide them with much needed oxygen. The pet masks are little cup-shaped masks that were originally developed for use by veterinarians and they seal around the muzzle of an animal. These masks helps firefighters deliver the right amount of oxygen to the pet and also protects the firefighters from an injured animal which may try to bite out of fear. Monica hopes that by raising money to purchase pet oxygen mask kits that she will contribute to saving pets and protecting pet owners that may risk their own life to save a pet in a fire. Monica is such an inspiration! Monica has raised money and provided these masks for Powhatan County VFD, Hopewell Bureau of Fire and Glen Aubrey Fire Company in Glen Aubrey, NY. She is currently working on getting donations for Louisa County VFD, Amelia County VFD, Prince George County VFD and Chesterfield County Fire & EMS. Does your fire department need these masks? If so you can contact her through her website. I have been in contact with Monica and her Mother, Wendy because my local fire department in Amelia County needs these masks. Her Mother told me today "we were hopeful for lots of reaction to the Virginia This Morning show but got nothing. I'm not sure how to help her get the donations she needs. I am thinking about bringing her to Amelia tomorrow to put some collection cans in businesses like she did in Powhatan." So that is why I am reaching out to you. If you would like to donate to this wonderful cause please go to her website and click on "How To Donate". I am planning on meeting Monica and her Mother tomorrow and I will be going with them to several businesses in Amelia to put some collection cans and flyers in businesses. Please take a moment to check out her website at http://www.petmask.com/ and please spread the word of what this wonderful young lady is doing."

I live in Powhatan so it's good to know that our volunteer fire department is now equiped with these masks. Do the larger staffed fire departments have these?

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Many of our Fire Stations here in Portland have been equipped with animal rescue devices through donations in the past couple of years. They've been used successfully many times.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greytbookert

I think it is wonderful that this young lady is going the extra mile for the animals!

DH and I donated a set of the oxygen masks to our local Fire Department a couple of years ago. They were thrilled with the donation, since many towns folks here would rather risk their own lives than to risk their family pet's lives.

Here is the article in our local newspaper http://www.thetantasquatowncommon.com/080907ttc.pdf it's on Page 13 and there is a pic of DH and Sahra!