Ls/hind End Weakness Poll

Lumbosacral disease treatment options  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What treatments have you used? (You can choose more than one!)

• medical management only: prescription drugs
    • acupuncture only
    • chiropractic only
    • herbal supplements
    • other....please explain

Indy, almost 12, has mild-to-moderate LS and mild disk protrusion (confirmed by MRI in 2/08).

Currently treating with acupuncture (every five weeks), chiropractic, and "Body Sore," a Chinese herb. :yay

Indy is doing extremely well with this combination. Used to give him Metacam, but Indy has nasal bleeding issues so we've nixed the Metacam for now. Indy hates Tramadol and will spit it out. Seems like he can smell it a mile away despite all efforts to disguise it! Acts like I'm trying to poision him! Was giving glucosamine, etc., but ran out about the time I started the Body Sore. Wanted to see if the Body Sore made any difference, so have not resumed the glucosamine regimen.

I was using another chinese herb in addition to body sore for Pablo.

Acupuncture vet and chiropractic vet due Monday and Tuesday for little girl. I also give Joint Health & Fresh Factors. The old girl has a little more "pick up and go" :rolleyes:

Have not used a prescription drug since Eliza....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I was using another chinese herb in addition to body sore for Pablo.

Acupuncture vet and chiropractic vet due Monday and Tuesday for little girl. I also give Joint Health & Fresh Factors. The old girl has a little more "pick up and go" :rolleyes:

Have not used a prescription drug since Eliza....

Thanks for mentioning Joint Health & Fresh Factors. Seems many GT'rs use and recommend it - will have to check it out. :)

Spencer's LS is treated with acupuncture and chiropractic, which began a year ago. That's when he was diagnosed but he undoubtedly had the condition at a lower level before that. He's doing very, very well on this program. He goes every six weeks.

We were also using Chinese herbs for a while but had to stop when his SIBO and IBD arose. Not that the herbs were bad, but you have to eliminate anything "extra" from their diet. He can't even have multi-vitamins!

We figure we'll save the drug therapy until he worsens and needs it. I believe I've heard that the benefits from meds taper off over time, so we'll postpone starting them as long as we can.

Good luck to you!

ETA: Oops, just realized the OP was posting last February and I've just butted into someone else's conversation! Pardon :blush

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Brandi has the weak hind legs due to being paralyzed in the summer of 2004. She can walk now but is still very weak in the hind quarter. I truly believe in the acupuncture/chiro and herbal supplements from my holistic vet and has had the acup/chiro since 2004. I recently did the senior panel and everything was in the normal range. Since she has also been on pred since 2004 I have always been concerned about her kidneys/liver but everything looks fine. I asked my holistic vet why it would be normal for a grey that has been on pred for so long and he believes it has helped her meridians (sp?). He said if we had not kept up the acu her levels would not be normal. So yes I do believe it has helped her.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Indy, almost 12, has mild-to-moderate LS and mild disk protrusion (confirmed by MRI in 2/08).

Currently treating with acupuncture (every five weeks), chiropractic, and "Body Sore," a Chinese herb. :yay

Indy is doing extremely well with this combination. Used to give him Metacam, but Indy has nasal bleeding issues so we've nixed the Metacam for now. Indy hates Tramadol and will spit it out. Seems like he can smell it a mile away despite all efforts to disguise it! Acts like I'm trying to poision him! Was giving glucosamine, etc., but ran out about the time I started the Body Sore. Wanted to see if the Body Sore made any difference, so have not resumed the glucosamine regimen.

After you recommended the Body Sore I talked to my holistic vet and now I have Brandi on it, one scoop in a.m. and one scoop in p.m. and I think it has made a difference. We are on the second jar now so thanks for the recommendation.

Forgot to mention that we also did some PT such as swimming, heat massage but we really did not see the any results (Brandi did not like the swimming pool even with her life vest on). Also did prolo treatment at the holistic vets office (six sessions) and saw an immediate change after one treatment.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg