Anyone Hear Of A Vet Who Approved Raw Turkey Neck?

Guest Maire

I have started feeding the necks maybe once week- it does seem to be really good for the teeth, but I have never had a Vet approve of them that I have asked. That kind of worries me..but common sense says a canine carnvore in the wild would be doing exactly that. Are our present day dogs to far from the wild state to tolerate them? But then, Iknow of Galgos dumped eating raw and no prob.

I have a friend who adopted one that existed in the mountains for quite a while in Spain eating game. She has a terrrible time with him still loving to catch & eat birds in the backyard & getting too fat! So I dunno, I guess I would just feel better if any Vet okayed them--how come they don't ?? ( I know I think too much, too ) :blink::blink:

Edited by Maire

Guest taylorsmom

Yes, only two of the many vets I have been to over the years approved of raw turkey necks (and raw feeding in general)--both vets have wonderful holistic practices (one in Delaware, one in Bucks County PA), and both are way too far away (about an hour one way) for me to see them as my regular vet. I wish they were closer--it would be so nice to have a regular vet who did not try to tell me I was going to kill my dogs with the food I give them all the time!! (my girls are very very healthy, and have sparkling teeth--they have yet to have dentals).

The literature still frowns on feeding germ-laden stuff to pets- none of which explains why reports of dog food giving people salmonella poisoning from just handling the stuff doesn't seem to phase them. Salmonella in bagged kibble is a pervasive problem, yet somehow it's golden while raw food tempts death.

And I don't deny there are people out there who break rules as concerns raw feeding that end up with sick dogs that give vets reason for pause when asked, "So- y'all dig it when I flip Fluffy a turkey neck once a week?" They remember some poor dog that ended up crashing and dying with salmonellosis, and of course they're going to say, "Don't do that."

My own vet is anti-raw food, but worries more about it from a nutrient standpoint. When I described how I put stuff we feed into an Excel spreadsheet with USDA values for the different components and compared with the NRC's recommendations for feeds, she admitted most people don't take that much care. Another vet I have didn't worry about the canine bacteriology- she was more concerned about the "raw meat in the kitchen" standpoint for the humans. I then informed her both The Lisa and I worked in research handling genetically modified bacteria for a living; if it grows, it dies. Us getting sick from raw meat didn't measure up.

But it's tough to argue with the results. Better for the teeth, too.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

I've worked with a couple of vets who approve of a raw diet. The first vet I worked with helped me make the decision to switch Marky to a natural cooked diet and later a raw diet to help his rheumatoid arthritis. I also went to another holisitic vet who supported this after my first vet moved from my area. Now I go to a good old country vet who sees how healthy my dogs are. While he doesn't promote a raw diet, he doesn't discourage me from what I am doing.

The first person that ever talked to me about feeding a raw diet to my pets was (still is) a vet. I wasn't ready to listen at the time, but when I was he was delighted to hear it. He has a conventional practice but also does acupuncture & Chinese medicine.

Like AJ says, vets see some very sick dogs including ones fed a horribly inadequate diet. Since they often don't know us very well, they want to err on the side of caution. Not everyone is capable of feeding a home-prepared diet properly. Many of us are & it's become more common.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BlackandBrindle

None of the vets I've been to endorse a raw diet, but they cannot deny that my dogs look great and have very few medical issues. We've been feeding raw for almost three years and it has done wonders for them.

It cleared up Spud's chronic diarrhea and even though Sadie has a disease which compromises her immune system (Valley Fever) she does really well on her raw diet.

None of the vets I've been to has said anything about not feeding a raw diet. We started feeding raw because Spud's diarrhea was reaching a critical point and none of the things they had told us to try were working.

Remember, your vet is not all knowing. I'd not worry too much if your vet doesn't agree with the raw diet. :)

I asked our vet if we could change one of our dogs to raw food last week, after 6 months of diarrhea/soft poops and blood work showing malabsorption. She not only said yes, she also recommended a local company that prepares raw food, and duck necks, and delivers them to one's home!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

My traditional vet does not have a problem with rawfeeding, but she wonders why anyone would go through the hassle as long as their dogs did well on kibble. She generally recommends feeding a commercial raw diet to those with small pets and those who do not want to do rawfeeding homework. For her big dog patients, she advises consultation with a local holistic vet who knows a lot about rawfeeding.

Greyt- thanks to all of you for responding, I'll keep doi'n what I am--boy do they love the raw necks & it doesn't last long! My 90# Big Sam (white)had a bigger one & since he's a slow eater (imagine!) he really gets the most out of it. My Kharma has had seizures for yrs & try to give her kibble without wheat & corn plus chicken/hamburger. She's the little red/white girl only 54#, then Penny is in the middle. Thanks again for the knowledge, you all are S MA R T !

Edited by Maire

Guest FullMetalFrank

I told my vet that a partial raw diet was what had given me such great result with my dog's teeth and she didn't bat an eye; didn't say she was in favor of it but didn't speak out against it, either, so I left it at that. She was very pleased with Frank's teeth and when I brought my new dog, Chelsa, in for a checkup, she commented that her teeth were a little grungy but that she knew they'd be getting better with our "routine..." I consider that an endorsement of sorts!

I have started feeding the necks maybe once week- it does seem to be really good for the teeth, but I have never had a Vet approve of them that I have asked. That kind of worries me..but common sense says a canine carnvore in the wild would be doing exactly that. Are our present day dogs to far from the wild state to tolerate them? But then, Iknow of Galgos dumped eating raw and no prob.

I have a friend who adopted one that existed in the mountains for quite a while in Spain eating game. She has a terrrible time with him still loving to catch & eat birds in the backyard & getting too fat! So I dunno, I guess I would just feel better if any Vet okayed them--how come they don't ?? ( I know I think too much, too ) :blink::blink:

My vet encourages not just turkey necks but a complete raw diet. I love her holistic approach and I have to tell you I also love that I have 7 greys, aged 10.5, 10, 9.5, 8, 7 6 and 2 and not one of them has ever required a dental. We feed turkey necks twice a week and chicken backs each morning.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I've had one emergency vet practically scream at me for feeding raw when I took Wren in because she was vomiting - he was certain I was killing her. I was so mad at him and felt vindicated when her bloodwork and radiographs came back clean. Turns out she had ulcers (but that was diagnosed by Dr. Patty, not this guy) - no doubt from the stress of moving from our old house to our new house.

I mentioned the incident to Dr. Patty a few days later when I had Wren in to see her again. We had just met Dr. Patty the week before, and she hadn't said anything one way or the other about the raw diet. She told me then that she didn't approve, but decided she would examine my dogs before saying anything (she saw all four that first visit). She felt my dogs looked very healthy and their teeth looked great, so she didn't say anything to me about their diet.

We know each other a lot better now - I worked with her at the clinic for about a year - and she's since explained to me that she sees so many clients who don't do it right, and that's why she doesn't approve, in general. However, after seeing my dogs for almost four years now, she would actually love to switch her dogs to a raw diet, but she knows she doesn't have time to do it right. She has also mentioned to me a few clients whose dogs she thought would benefit from the raw diet, but she didn't think the clients had the time or the inclination.

I don't think Dr. Jim approves, but I avoid asking his opinion on anything relating to my dogs.

Dr. Alison and Dr. Elise are both younger vets (and Dr. Alison is a certified veterinary acupuncturist and herbalist) and they are very interested in learning more about the raw diet from me.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).