Pannus

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Cody has only had problem with allergies over the summers, which drops from the vet helped him. Yesterday I noticed his eye was red and swollen. Poor baby keeps it closed and doesnt' want bothered with light. The inside corner, well it looks like a membrane tissue is overtaking it. Similar to when he's sleeping and has his eyes open. I started him on his allergy drops last night and today the redness is gone, but the membrane and sensitivity are still there. The eye still looks kinda cloudy towards the center. ps...it waters too.

I'm totally freaking out right now and am wondering how does pannus start (symptoms) and can it happen overnight. He's never had anything like this before. I just took a picture of him the other day and there are no red symptoms at all in his eyes.

Am I worrying for nothing?

I'd have the vet look at it. My understanding is that Pannus develops over time and often owners don't necessarily notice it right away. Cody may have some dust or grit caught under the third lid that is irritating his cornea or a scratched cornea. He may need antibiotic ointment or drops.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Che_mar_Cody
I'd have the vet look at it. My understanding is that Pannus develops over time and often owners don't necessarily notice it right away. Cody may have some dust or grit caught under the third lid that is irritating his cornea or a scratched cornea. He may need antibiotic ointment or drops.

:)

Thanks, I've read some of your posts on the subject. It's nice to get experience from someone who's been down this road.

You can always get information quickly at Greyhound Gang's site. Click on LEARN. Click on Medical. Then scroll down to Pannus, amid many articles on medical and behavioral conditions dogs can get. There are links to pictures for Pannus, and more.

What you are describing sounds more like a reaction to the medication given by your vet, not pannus. I would get another vet opinion. And do some research on the internet on the drops your vet prescribed.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest Che_mar_Cody
You can always get information quickly at Greyhound Gang's site. Click on LEARN. Click on Medical. Then scroll down to Pannus, amid many articles on medical and behavioral conditions dogs can get. There are links to pictures for Pannus, and more.

What you are describing sounds more like a reaction to the medication given by your vet, not pannus. I would get another vet opinion. And do some research on the internet on the drops your vet prescribed.

He had the symptoms of red eyes, watering and swelling before I gave any meds. It's the cloudy membrane that looks like a cataract in the corner that has me worried

I've been using the drops for 3 years and we've never had any problems. Thanks for the links, I'm off to check them out.

Your description of the membrane is identical to the first symptom my cat exhibited with a corneal ulcer. I would have it checked immediately. Hope I'm wrong. Prayers going out for Cody.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Buddy's pannus developed after he had a corneal abrasion. That kicked his system into overdrive, and that's why it developed.

You could always ask your vet for a referral to PVSEC (Dr. Bagley), if you think he might have pannus. Also, I think maybe the vets at Tender Touch check for pannus....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Che_mar_Cody
Buddy's pannus developed after he had a corneal abrasion. That kicked his system into overdrive, and that's why it developed.

You could always ask your vet for a referral to PVSEC (Dr. Bagley), if you think he might have pannus. Also, I think maybe the vets at Tender Touch check for pannus....

Thank you so much for the name. We don't got to Tender Touch, I use Dr. Mike, Elaine's brother, but I'm sure he'll know of him too.

Guest Greensleeves

If there's a possibility of injury to the eye, you need to be careful about putting any drops in them (steroids specifically, IIRC). I know that while Whistler was being treated with Neo/Poly/Dex and tacrolimus drops, whenever we suspected an actual eye injury (like a corneal abrasion), we had to stop eye drops and have his eyes stained and examined, because you're not supposed to use the drops on injured eyes.

I discovered Whistler's pannus when he walked up under my reading light and looked at me--the light showed up the tissue creeping across the surface of his eye. I knew what it was immediately. He actually had atypical pannus, which also affects the third eyelid, which would get all red. It *never* seemed to bother him, even though we were never able to fully resolve the redness of the third eyelid. His ophthalmologist called his condition "moderately controlled." The medicines completely stopped and eliminated the growth of the tissue over the surface of the eye.

HTH!

Guest Che_mar_Cody
If there's a possibility of injury to the eye, you need to be careful about putting any drops in them (steroids specifically, IIRC). I know that while Whistler was being treated with Neo/Poly/Dex and tacrolimus drops, whenever we suspected an actual eye injury (like a corneal abrasion), we had to stop eye drops and have his eyes stained and examined, because you're not supposed to use the drops on injured eyes.

I discovered Whistler's pannus when he walked up under my reading light and looked at me--the light showed up the tissue creeping across the surface of his eye. I knew what it was immediately. He actually had atypical pannus, which also affects the third eyelid, which would get all red. It *never* seemed to bother him, even though we were never able to fully resolve the redness of the third eyelid. His ophthalmologist called his condition "moderately controlled." The medicines completely stopped and eliminated the growth of the tissue over the surface of the eye.

HTH!

Helps, that's fantastic to hear everything about this that I can. I just got home from work and his eye is improved, but not like normal. I think ckruzan was on the money about an injury or scratch, but I can't figure out how it would have happened for the life of me. He has the bright eye look back tonight, but a the eyelid is still covering more of the eye then normal. The inflammation is gone, so now it's smooth (if that makes sense) At least looking at him doesn't make me break down into tears.

If it's not totally better in the next day were off to the vet. I will mention to the vet about the atypical pannus to see what they know about it. It's also comforting to know that medications can stop the growth of the tissue. He's always had a little, but nothing like this, so that's good info to tell the vet.

Thank you again for letting me know more about this and for all those praying for my baby!!

Edited by Che_mar_Cody