Pannus Meds Question

Guest Gemma

Hi everyone,

Peyton just got diagnosed with Pannus. Looking back in his old vet records, he had an unconfirmed diagnosis in his last home but nothing was done about it, and he was actually put on the entirely wrong meds (antibiotic eye drops to treat infection). We have now put him on Optimmune ointment and he's on a short course of antibiotic eye drops to reduce the inflammation/infection caused by being off the proper medication.

The optimmune costs $40 for a tube and that tube lasts a week. I am worried my pet insurance won't cover the costs by claiming it's a pre-existing condition (even though we didn't have a diagnosis for it until after we adopted him and applied for insurance). Anyway, some friends of mine mentioned that $160 a month for Pannus meds is WAY too much, so I am wondering what everyone pays here? Do you know of somewhere online that sells the same meds for cheaper? Or do I just need to find a vet who can prescribe something just as good for a lower price?

Thank you in advance!

Guest MnMDogs

Wow that's a lot. We pay 40 dollars for 10 mls of cyclosporine (Mara) or tacrolimus (Mork). They both last well over a month.

ETA - that's from the doggie eye vet who is certainly not cheap.

Edited by MnMDogs

Wow that's a lot. We pay 40 dollars for 10 mls of cyclosporine (Mara) or tacrolimus (Mork). They both last well over a month.

ETA - that's from the doggie eye vet who is certainly not cheap.

That's interesting, thanks! Cyclosporine is the active ingredient in Optimmune so it sounds like the drop/liquid solution is cheaper. I'll talk to my vet about this.

My older boy has had pannus for almost 10 years now. I pay $23.95 + shipping for a tube of Optimmune ointment at http://www.entirelypets.com/

That normally lasts around 6 weeks.

Oh, you are a life-saver! Thank you so much. :) If we stick with the ointment, at least I know where to get it cheaply. How often do you apply to your boy? Once or twice a day?

Paul gets neo polydex drops, once a day, and Brandy was on those drops for years. It costs about $9.00 a month. Considering that panus is not that prevalent in greyhounds, it is interesting that I have had two with it. Both went into remission with the drops, but needed to be on the drops forever. I can deal with $9.00 a month.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Paul gets neo polydex drops, once a day, and Brandy was on those drops for years. It costs about $9.00 a month. Considering that panus is not that prevalent in greyhounds, it is interesting that I have had two with it. Both went into remission with the drops, but needed to be on the drops forever. I can deal with $9.00 a month.

That could have been my post. :lol

NeoPolyDex has been the treatment of choice for Tipper's pannus for almost five years now. Works perfectly for him, and costs about $9 per tube.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

NeoPolyDex has been the treatment of choice for Tipper's pannus for almost five years now. Works perfectly for him, and costs about $9 per tube.

The only difference is you spelled Pannus correctly and I didn't. Also you are using an ointment, I guess, and we are using drops.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The only difference is you spelled Pannus correctly and I didn't. Also you are using an ointment, I guess, and we are using drops.

:lol Hey, I typo right along with the best of 'em.

Yes, I use the ointment. Tip gets one little squeeze in each eye twice a week. So one little tube of ointment lasts a good while-- maybe two months?

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Annoyingly, Peyton was on something similar to the neo polydex and it has no effect, hence why he needs the cyclosporine. :"/

:lol Hey, I typo right along with the best of 'em.

Yes, I use the ointment. Tip gets one little squeeze in each eye twice a week. So one little tube of ointment lasts a good while-- maybe two months?

I am jealous! Peyton needs his meds twice a day. :(

Too bad about the NeoPolyDex. I have heard that some dogs can react poorly to it.

This may or may not be the case for you, but for Tipper, we started off with a much more frequent dosage, and as the intruding tissue receded over time, we were able to wean back to the current "maintenance dose" that he'll likely have for life.

Same here! We have two dogs and use the ointment. Same price!

Too bad about the NeoPolyDex. I have heard that some dogs can react poorly to it.

This may or may not be the case for you, but for Tipper, we started off with a much more frequent dosage, and as the intruding tissue receded over time, we were able to wean back to the current "maintenance dose" that he'll likely have for life.

Well, this gives me hope for Peyton's eyes, anyway. :)

I'm so glad it sounds like you have cheaper options, Gemma! I nearly had a heart attack when you told me the cost. :blink::lol

Yeah, I think my heart skipped a beat when I realised how much this could cost!! :blink: At least I have options now, and I'll talk to our vet about them on Monday.

Buddy's been on the Optimmune ointment for a couple of months...the SAME tube....it was $40. He only gets it in one eye, though, once a day.

You're lucky that it lasts so long. Poor Peyton has to have applications done twice daily so this tiny tube is just going to last the week. *sigh*

Lizzie and Lewis are both on Optimmune. I can't remember exactly what I paid last time but I get mine from www.smartpakcanine.com. It was a whole lot cheaper than I could get it from my vet...like $25 less, if I remember correctly.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest BleusysMom

My Wendell has been on Optimmune Ointment for 4 years....in Both Eyes, Twice a Day......and I find that one tiny tube lasts for 4 weeks!!!! I use about 1/4 inch in each eye, twice daily......I pay $32.00 for each tube.....but I believe Drs, Foster and .....charges only $23-24 per tube!!!!!!

Many Vets will make up the cyclosporine drops using olive oil or glycine for the liquid base....and it only costs $5-10 for A LOT of med.....but I have been unlucky that Wendell seems to be sensitive to those bases, and paws at his eyes when I used it.....

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Coach uses Prednisolone Acetate Opthalmic Suspension drops. We are still on our first little bottle. I looked for the receipt, but haven't filed it away yet and can't get my hands on it tonight. It is a fraction of the amount I pay for her dermaxx, tramadol, enalapril and spironolactone. I do remember being pleasantly surprised by the small cost per bottle.

Thank you for all the responses, everyone. :) I really appreciate it!

We have a lot more options now so I will talk with my vet and work with her to get a cheaper medication. If she wants us to stick to the Optimmune ointment, I will buy online thanks to the links y'all provided!