Galgo Owners - Ohio State University Survey

phall

Hi Everyone,

Dr. Liliana Marin, the Coordinator of the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State University, emailed Greyhound Friends regarding a survey they are conducting on health-related conditions of Galgos. They are trying to get as many Galgo owners as possible to participate in the survey. If you have a Galgo or know someone who does, please consider participating.

Information from Dr. Marin is below:

Dear Galgo Owner,

The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine would like your participation in a survey to identify the frequency of health-related conditions in Galgos. The results from the survey will help us to better understand which diseases are most common in Galgo and will serve as a baseline to help us conduct clinical research to improve the health of Galgo.

If you are interested in participating in the survey, please send an email to info@scoobymedina.com with the Subject Line: OSU Galgo Survey. And in the body of the email, please just write – your first and last name, phone number and email address.

The deadline to confirm your participation is February 23, 2009. You will then receive an email from Ohio State University that will give you the instruction on how to complete the survey.

A Galgo is a Spanish greyhound. They can be smooth coated or wire. They are used mainly for hunting in Spain rather than racing.

Please excuse my ignorance...

A Galgo is not a Greyhound is it? Or have they been crossbred?

A Galgo is a different breed. They are a higher-energy endurance runner. They are also a very, very old breed named for the Gauls, a Celtic tribe from the Iberian Peninsula in 6th century BC. At one point in history mixing with greyhounds happened to make faster Galgos....but they are their own individual breed. They can be wire hair or smooth coat. They have a tragic history and a tragic current situation. Almost all Galgos in the US come from rescues in Spain an their numbers are very small here. In my research I discovered a claim that they are the only breed that can sustain top speed for 5 minutes straight before tiring. Watching my boy in the yard I believe it! Originally brought to Spain by nobles, the galgo was held in high esteem. Unfortunetly, after decades of theft and indiscriminant breeding by the lower classes, the galgo lost its favor and was - and still is - viewed as a "trash dog", owned only by the lower classes. Basically what was backyard breeding created the size, coat and color variations you see now. Generally they are smaller than a standard greyhound. My boy is 55lbs. He is the size of a small female grey. The girls I know are smaller.

The racetracks are closed in Spain. There is small scale racing but Galgos are used almost extensively for hunting by galgueros (hunters) and Roma people. More research on Galgos in Spain can be done by googling them, as most info on Galgos cannot be posted here or is controversial.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Guest KennelMom

In my research I discovered a claim that they are the only breed that can sustain top speed for 5 minutes straight before tiring.

I find that hard to believe. I'd have to put my distance money on a desert bred saluki for top speed endurance.

I'm not convinced most galgos are pure bred dogs...many hunting dogs are a "little bit of this" bred into "mostly one breed" trying to get the best of the best because they have a practical purpose...unless there's a galgo studbook where they keep track of their breedings. Perhaps that explains the very different looks of galgos you often see. Kinda like staghounds in this country. I consider it a type of sighthound, more than a breed of dog. JMHO of course.

Good luck to OSU in their study!

Guest gr8greys

To Greyhound Poet,

You've peaked my interest and I'll google some info on them. Thanks for ALL of you info. This is an amazing site due to the wealth of knowledge you all have. I do hope I'm not going to be depressed when I google Galgos...

In my research I discovered a claim that they are the only breed that can sustain top speed for 5 minutes straight before tiring.

I find that hard to believe. I'd have to put my distance money on a desert bred saluki for top speed endurance.

I'm not convinced most galgos are pure bred dogs...many hunting dogs are a "little bit of this" bred into "mostly one breed" trying to get the best of the best because they have a practical purpose...unless there's a galgo studbook where they keep track of their breedings. Perhaps that explains the very different looks of galgos you often see. Kinda like staghounds in this country. I consider it a type of sighthound, more than a breed of dog. JMHO of course.

Good luck to OSU in their study!

A lot of what you say is probably right but I'm just going off the research given to me and what amounts of research I have done. So little info out there...Yes, I'm sure a desert bred Saluki could do that as well. When I read that statement it was talking about as a whole breed, not a regional or type/part of a breed. I do not know...are all Salukis big distance runners? But...that's why I said a claim, not a fact. I'm not so great with words this week...stupid lack of sleep. :( And it could be a false claim but I will say I have seen mine run 5+ minutes without slowing and barely gasping for breath after. He laps the heck out of my poor greys. So...I dunno.

A lot of the hunting dogs have been mixed here and there but from research a lot of hunters keep mostly or all galgos so mixing hapens but is less than you would expect. There is a Galgo studbook...and breed standards...and they do get shown. They are UKC and FCI. (I don't consider CKC legit IMO) Not showed so much in the US as they are a rare breed here but heavily in Europe. Not the Scooby rescues of course. The Galgo breed itself, in its purest form, is almost extinct. From all the research I've done, as well as the Galgo people I've spoken to, I would consider Argos a Galgo. Doesn't matter too much to me, to be truthful, but most people who have them do not consider them a type since there is a breed standard and all that jazz. At least I can blame the breed when he's being weird. :lol

There is so little info on them you can only go off what's out there I suppose.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

To Greyhound Poet,

You've peaked my interest and I'll google some info on them. Thanks for ALL of you info. This is an amazing site due to the wealth of knowledge you all have. I do hope I'm not going to be depressed when I google Galgos...

Glad I could help one more person discover the breed. You should meet one sometime. :)

Guest KennelMom
A lot of the hunting dogs have been mixed here and there but from research a lot of hunters keep mostly or all galgos so mixing hapens but is less than you would expect. There is a Galgo studbook...and breed standards...and they do get shown. They are UKC and FCI. (I don't consider CKC legit IMO) Not showed so much in the US as they are a rare breed here but heavily in Europe. Not the Scooby rescues of course. The Galgo breed itself, in its purest form, is almost extinct. From all the research I've done, as well as the Galgo people I've spoken to, I would consider Argos a Galgo. Doesn't matter too much to me, to be truthful, but most people who have them do not consider them a type since there is a breed standard and all that jazz. At least I can blame the breed when he's being weird. :lol

The show world is a whole 'nother ball of wax. I'm talking about the hunting dogs in Spain that are rescued and then petted out. That is more of a type of sighthound IMO, than a pure breed of dog. I'm not talking about what has been created by the conformation world - writing a breed standard and then breeding to that - perhaps even out of stock chosen from Spanish hunters or who knows where. I know with Portuguese Podengos, the show world is working with the hunters to track breedings and ensure the breed is preserved in both venues. So, they invite the hunters to register their breedings...after so many generations, those dogs are then considered pure bred podengos and their genes can be used to produced registerable offspring for the show world. It's a huge undertaking in an attempt to preserve their national breed.

You have staghounds in this country that have been used as hunting dogs...staghounds and been bred to staghounds for hundreds of years...maybe some other dogs in there from time to time or little bit more deerhound here and little bit more greyhound there...who really can say for sure what hunters are doing with their breedings...(staghounds also have a variety of coats, colors and a range of sizes, much like galgos)...I probably wouldn't call our boy Wuzho a "purebred Staghound" because I'm not really convinced such a thing exists..."pure breeds" are contrivances humans put onto dogs and that's about it. I do call him a staghound because that tells people something. It tells them his ancestry is a blend of sighthounds used for a specific purpose, other than showing. And I think that's awesome, in and of itself. I have also been known to call him a lurcher, a long dog (though he's probably more a lurcher) and even a North American Rasta Grey :lol

To me, the bottom line is that if you get a rescue galgo from Spain, you most likely have no idea what breed(s) may in the dogs direct ancestry. And that makes it a type of sighthound, not a pure breed of dog.

Edited by KennelMom

The show world is a whole 'nother ball of wax. I'm talking about the hunting dogs in Spain that are rescued and then petted out. That is more of a type of sighthound IMO, than a pure breed of dog. I'm not talking about what has been created by the conformation world - writing a breed standard and then breeding to that - perhaps even out of stock chosen from Spanish hunters or who knows where. I know with Portuguese Podengos, the show world is working with the hunters to track breedings and ensure the breed is preserved in both venues. So, they invite the hunters to register their breedings...after so many generations, those dogs are then considered pure bred podengos and their genes can be used to produced registerable offspring for the show world. It's a huge undertaking in an attempt to preserve their national breed.

You have staghounds in this country that have been used as hunting dogs...staghounds and been bred to staghounds for hundreds of years...maybe some other dogs in there from time to time or little bit more deerhound here and little bit more greyhound there...who really can say for sure what hunters are doing with their breedings...(staghounds also have a variety of coats, colors and a range of sizes, much like galgos)...I probably wouldn't call our boy Wuzho a "purebred Staghound" because I'm not really convinced such a thing exists..."pure breeds" are contrivances humans put onto dogs and that's about it. I do call him a staghound because that tells people something. It tells them his ancestry is a blend of sighthounds used for a specific purpose, other than showing. And I think that's awesome, in and of itself. I have also been known to call him a lurcher, a long dog (though he's probably more a lurcher) and even a North American Rasta Grey :lol

To me, the bottom line is that if you get a rescue galgo from Spain, you most likely have no idea what breed(s) may in the dogs direct ancestry. And that makes it a type of sighthound, not a pure breed of dog.

I can agree with you on that. I thought you were talking about the breed as a whole. So many people don't know about Galgos as a whole I never know who does or not. I've been surprised a few times by people I thought would know and did not. I just like to share what research I have done. :)

If anybody asks...Argos was brought over as a Galgo. He has the physical traits of a Galgo. He looks a lot (not identical, but a lot) like the show-bred Galgos that my cousin's friends in Ireland have....personality traits as well. When I sent her pictures she said they asked if he was bought or rescued. Except...he's faster than my greys even in takeoff. Theirs are not...theirs just out-distance. Makes me think he had a lot of grey in his past. I've never cared about pedigree and still don't...but if anybody asks he is a Galgo to me. :wub: Well, anybody that knows sighthounds. To the average Joe he is a greyhound and I don't go any further unless they ask. Saves time. :lol

Edited by GreytHoundPoet