For Ibd/sibo Issues New Food Grain & Potato Free

RobinM

what about the frozen raw? IF he will eat it, would I add that to the ID at this point? I have been giving him the BG chicken (all meat) with the ID.

Many of the commercially prepared raw diets contain vegetables so even dogs that are not picky don't like them. My super picky greyhound won't eat most prepared raw diets, even the vegetable-free formulas. But he LOVES LOVES LOVES the Bravo Basic Formulas http://www.bravorawdiet.com/products/basic/basic_turkey.html

I swear there must be salt or garlic or something good in there, although the ingredient label says no, just meat & bones. It's kind of expensive. I don't feed much of it, and then only when I need convenience. I feed mostly the turkey formula, because it is very low fat. But there is a Basic chicken formula which has a higher fat content but is still fine, and a rabbit formula which is excellent, low fat, but super expensive, like $5/lb.

If you dedide to try it, & he likes it, I would feed just the raw food for a while. The formulas are pretty bone heavy, which may result in poop that is too hard! How'd you like to deal with that problem instead? It's easily remedied.

Dh is on his way back from store with Natures Variety Lamb Raw. Beau has never had lamb before (neither have I, I don't eat meat so this is all for Beau ;))

Anway, since he has been eating chicken and the ID how should I make the switch. Medalions of the raw with the ID. I would imagine if he likes the raw, he is going to pick it out. If he doesn't like it, well, then I guess we are back to square one.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Fingers crossed that he likes it. I think NV has vegetables & organ in it, so that if he likes it & eats it, you should have no problem with poop that is too hard.

If he doesn't like NV, try the Bravo, but only one of the Bravo BASIC formulas. The other Bravo formulas have veggies & organ, like NV.

I would imagine if he likes the raw, he is going to pick it out. If he doesn't like it, well, then I guess we are back to square one.

If he'll eat it, make it homogeneous. Food processor, mashing, thorough mixing, whatever.

The Nature's Variety Lamb Raw looks interesting. If he won't eat the medallions, you might try giving them a quick toast in the pan. (Oy! The things we do for our dogs...)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I would imagine if he likes the raw, he is going to pick it out. If he doesn't like it, well, then I guess we are back to square one.

If he'll eat it, make it homogeneous. Food processor, mashing, thorough mixing, whatever.

The Nature's Variety Lamb Raw looks interesting. If he won't eat the medallions, you might try giving them a quick toast in the pan. (Oy! The things we do for our dogs...)

Heck, I would give them a quick fry right from the start, while frozen, less than 1 minute, just to brown a bit. Since you know he is picky, I'd introduce them seared. It's a little more work, but if he goes for it, you can gradually sear them less & less. But set it up to succeed.

The ONLY thing that has worked for Butte is Science Diet ID kibble with forti flor in one meal a day (he gets 2 meals daily). He gets a little of the ID canned food in one meal. That's it! He had diarrehea sp? since I got him and is now functioning well with no big D. It took months to find that this was the right combo for him. OOps almost forgot. He was on Flagyl for the first 3 weeks of trying this. He has been off for the last 2 months and is doing well.