Rash

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

After giving Riley a bath today, I noticed a rash in her stomach area. Shampoo was the same as usual. Anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be or what else i should look out for?

No image to look at, please try again.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Yup! that's definitely a rash. If it were my pup, I'd be in first thing in the morning to find out what it is and get something to clear it up! They may not have hours over the holiday weekend and it could become worse and uncomfortable.

Good luck and please update after your appointment.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest saltwaterron
Have you changes laundry detergents when you wash her bedding? (That's the first thing I think of.)

that came to mind because we added something to the detergent. we have washed her bedding again and the rash seems to be clearing a little every day. hope this is the source of the problem

Usual dose is 1mg/lb. I would start with just 25mg, tho, and see how pup does. One of my big 75-lb boys got pretty drowsy / wobbly after just 25mg.

Might also flush the area again with room temperature water to make sure there's no soap residue or other allergens still on the skin.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest saltwaterron
Usual dose is 1mg/lb. I would start with just 25mg, tho, and see how pup does. One of my big 75-lb boys got pretty drowsy / wobbly after just 25mg.

Might also flush the area again with room temperature water to make sure there's no soap residue or other allergens still on the skin.

Thanks a bunch

That looks very like the rash I've been dealing with on Happy since we got her over a year ago. The vets can't figure it out (even after punch biopsy!), and the only things I've been able to do that seem to help it (after trying simple non-perfumed laundry soap, fish oil, antibiotics, ultra low-allergen food ... ) are a cotton shirt to minimize contact with possible irritants, and keep her from scratching/biting; and Rescue Cream (same people who brought you Rescue Remedy) once a day. That (along with continuing with the rest of it) brought it down to just a few, smaller, spots that don't seem to bother her much. I'm also wondering if it isn't particularly irritated by grass, which is not a problem for us this time of year, but might be for you.

Good luck! :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest MAXNAV
Have you changes laundry detergents when you wash her bedding? (That's the first thing I think of.)

that came to mind because we added something to the detergent. we have washed her bedding again and the rash seems to be clearing a little every day. hope this is the source of the problem

I too hope that the detergent is the source of the problem. I always think about allergic reactions to soaps, etc. because my mom had problems with all of us kids when we were young. We were allergic to everything but tide detergent, and dial soap. Go figure.

Guest saltwaterron

we have had riley 8 months and this is the first episode. i'm going to assume it's the detergent and not use that brand anymore. hopefully, it will clear up. if not, i might try the rescue cream

You might try the Rescue Cream anyway, to give him some relief, if it's itchy. Someone knowledgeable at a nearby pet supply place (small store, well-informed staff) suggested cold-pressed coconut oil as a great skin ointment, which is also food-grade, which is good in case he licks it off. I think I'll try that when this tube of RC runs out.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest saltwaterron
You might try the Rescue Cream anyway, to give him some relief, if it's itchy. Someone knowledgeable at a nearby pet supply place (small store, well-informed staff) suggested cold-pressed coconut oil as a great skin ointment, which is also food-grade, which is good in case he licks it off. I think I'll try that when this tube of RC runs out.

i haven't noticed it being itchy. last night was the first time i noticed her licking the area