Anyone Deal With Prostatitis Before?

We have an adopter whose dog Nick has been diagnosed with prostatitis (infection in the prostate).

The symptoms were very similar to UTI - inappropriate urination, etc. Symptoms were going on for a few weeks before the diagnosis, and unfortunately, have continued even on the meds. The adopter brought Nick back in to the vet last week, meds were changed, and he emailed me the other day to say the dog got up at 6am and just started urinating on the bed - so no improvement still.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is it commonly this difficult to treat?

Thanks!

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Assume urine was cultured?

I'd never heard of prostatitis in a neutered dog. Evidently it *can* occur, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know they did bring in a sample but I can't confirm it was cultured or not, or how the diagnosis was made, honestly. I should hear back from the adopter and then can update with more info.

I have no experience with prostate infections, but clearly, it happens! :blink:

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Well, if it's anything like human males, it can occur. Let's just say Mike had that experience years ago and leave it at that. :lol Antibiotics should clear it up with no problem.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sometimes as a result of the neuter, the prostate will enlarge, causing or resulting in prostatitis. We did have this happen with one of our fosters. It seemed like he had a UTI and we ran mulitple urinalyses, however nothing would turn up. Upon palpation, the vet noted that his prostate was enlarged. He was treated with a long-ish course of antibiotics, but they didn't help much. We ended up putting him on Proin and the inappropriate urination stopped. He was adopted out and his adopters didn't have him on Proin long at all before they ceased use and he's been fine since. The adopers are on this board (Harry702).

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Are you sure he had both nuts removed?

I do think so. I mean, the vet never said anything about not finding one of them? :huh

Sometimes as a result of the neuter, the prostate will enlarge, causing or resulting in prostatitis. We did have this happen with one of our fosters. It seemed like he had a UTI and we ran mulitple urinalyses, however nothing would turn up. Upon palpation, the vet noted that his prostate was enlarged. He was treated with a long-ish course of antibiotics, but they didn't help much. We ended up putting him on Proin and the inappropriate urination stopped. He was adopted out and his adopters didn't have him on Proin long at all before they ceased use and he's been fine since. The adopers are on this board (Harry702).

Interesting, this sounds very similar to what this adopter is facing!