Urinary Problems

My three year old greyhound Sam was diagnosed with Leptospirosis in September 2008. He was on antibiotics until Thanksgiving to get rid of the bacteria. He continues to experience incontinence and he has been urinating in his crate daily. Proin does not help. We also tried a combo of Proin and imipramine with no luck. At times he appears to be in pain. All of his blood and urine tests have been fine. Any ideas, suggestions...my vet is recommending exams by a urologist and neurologist. Thanks for any input. I am a new member and this is my first post.

Poor pupper. Is he on any meds at all now? Is he drinking a lot of water? If so (drinking a lot of water), you might want to try 10mg famotidine (one regular-strength Pepcid) twice a day.

Hopefully others will wander by with more suggestions of things to check.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor pupper. Is he on any meds at all now? Is he drinking a lot of water? If so (drinking a lot of water), you might want to try 10mg famotidine (one regular-strength Pepcid) twice a day.

Hopefully others will wander by with more suggestions of things to check.

Hugs and best luck.

My vet is sticking with prescribing Sam Proin three times a day and imipramine two times a day. The urinating every day in his crate started Dece. 4. From June 30 to Dece. 4 he maybe had four accidents in his crate and it is now daily. He does drink a pretty good amount of water, but he does not empty the bowl every time. I also give him water in his crate and most days he does not drink it. I have never heard of using Pepcid. What would that do? Thanks for your input.

Sometimes they drink because their tummy doesn't feel good.

Don't know why your vet would keep giving Proin if it doesn't work. It's not a med that you have to ramp up. I don't think imipramine is, either, for that purpose. Might be worth consulting with a different vet??

Edited to add: More than one person -- including me! -- has found that a course of antibiotics can be worthwhile in a dog with drinking/urinating difficulties. Sometimes a urinary tract infection doesn't show up on tests, including cultures.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.