Is It Pink Eye?

Guest JsMom

We went away and left our dog with a friend who has several dogs of her own, plus fosters (all greyhounds). A day or two after we got back, I noticed he had a little more eye boogers on one side than normal, and brushed it away. The next day, I noticed it again, and realized he has a little thick, green discharge coming out of that eye. It didn't look bloodshot at all, but now it does (although that could be from the witch hazel I just used to clean off the outside of his eye).

It also looks like his eye might be a little swollen... Any ideas what this could be, and what to do about it, other than warm compresses? I'm going to call the vet on Monday if it's still like that, but I'm wondering what to do, if anything, in the meantime that might help clear it up. Thanks!

We had a huge hoo haw at work last year about if dogs could get pinkeye as people know it. The vets we work with were split about 70/30, most saying nope, but it was close. :dunno

I might just leave him alone for a while, not mess with it at all and assess a vet visit on Monday. Warm compresses can't hurt to get the ick off if it shows up in between.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I had a border collie and a son who had pink eye at the same time. I used poly sporin for eyes and ears and it cleared up in both of them.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I had a border collie and a son who had pink eye at the same time. I used poly sporin for eyes and ears and it cleared up in both of them.

What's poly sporin and where do I get it?? (And just to clarify -- is it a human remedy you can use on a dog?) Thanks!!

Guest greyscot

I agree about taking him to the vet. As far as I know pink eye can be bacterial or viral with the viral form being a bit nastier. I have to add I only know this from human infections. I have no experience of this with dogs. I'm also a panic merchant and run to the vet at the sign of the least bit of trouble :rolleyes:

Guest houndstooth4

I just had pink eye, and it's the bacterial one you don't want! Trust me on this! That is the one they give you medicine for. Viral pink eye just has to run it's course. It's pretty contagious, too, so be careful.