Slow Healing Wound- New Hematoma

Guest Chaser

Over a month ago, Rosie (my grey) ripped the webbing between two of her toes. We took her in and got it stitched up, but even after she got her stitches out she kept licking the toes. A few days ago I noticed that a stitch had been missed. Now a large hematoma has developed at the site where the final stitch was. Of course, every one is now closed for the holidays, so I can't just swing by and have the vet look at it. Does this sound like something I should be worried about or is this typical for wound healing?

Is it a hematoma, as in filled with blood, or a seroma, filled with clear fluid? Seroma is normal and will eventually (if sometimes very slowly) go away. Hematoma, not so normal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No office hours tomorrow for a short time? Usually, becase there are animals boarded or sick, a dr will come in in the morning to check on everyone?

I agree with what Batmom said, about hematoma. It could turn into something painful... or not. Sorry I can't be clearer. If you can bring her in, I would or at the very least, call.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sometimes if a stitch is left in too long you'll get in inflammatory response (red- raised area--basically inflamed)--it will completely resolve once the suture is removed. I'm sure your vet must be there for a short time tomorrow. If not maybe you can find another Vet open--you just need to find a pair of suture scissors to snip it out.

Oh--I wanted to add that my girls have done this (split webbing) a few times too. Never really found out what they were doing it on.

Edited by tbhounds

Hope Rosie can get into be seen tomorrow. Will be a miserable Christmas if she doesn't. Sending prayers and healing white light.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks for the replies and the prayers and good thoughts.

It's definitely a hematoma (blood filled) and the stitch is already out. The hematoma developed after the stitch was removed. Could the hematoma just be from the trauma of removing the final stitch? Is it possible that piece of the stitching was left inside and that's causing the problem? My biggest fear is that it could turn into a traveling blood clot and really cause serious problems. If I have to I could call the vet at home (we're a pretty rural area- limited services, but everyone knows everyone type place) but I hate to do that on Christmas eve unless it's really serious.

How big is it?

If it's small and all the stitches are out, could try some warm Epsom salts soaks and see if that'll help it reabsorb.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.