Which Probiotic For Beau's Tummy

RobinM

Which probiotic should I be using along with the prilesec for Beau's tummy? I'd rather pill him then have something to add to his food in the event he is light on the food or he doesn't like the taste.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I've been using Purina FortiFlora on Merlin for his tummy issues.

ETA - sorry I didn't read your entire post. The FortiFlora is actually a powder that I sprinkle on his food once a day. Doesn't look like it comes in a pill format...

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

These are probiotic tablets. I have never tried them, so not sure how good/effective they are.

1-800-PetMeds does ship very fast.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Acidophilus, the non dairy one.

Can this be bought at a health food store for humans? or is it better to get the one for canine?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest taylorsmom

Robin--I did a lot of research into this and I found that it is better to use a canine formula if at all possible. Also, you can squirt the gel into the back of his mouth and hold his head up until he swallows, like you would do with a pill. If you do go with a pill, I would try to find one that is enteric-coated to "bypass" the stomach acids and be released into the intestine (because canine stomach acids tend to be so much more powerful than human stomach acids--the important thing with probiotics is to make sure that the bacteria are truly alive). One pill form that I used for awhile was Primadophilus, which I got at Whole Foods--it was timed release. There is also another gel-type that is vet-prescription only that was quite effective, but unfortunately I cannot remember the name.

A terrific food-based source for probiotic bacteria is kefir, as long as he is okay with dairy. If he would be at all interested in trying a little of it, you can get it at Whole Foods. I now give that to my dogs as a night-time snack--they love it!! It has a lot more of the good bacteria than yogurt does (yogurt actually has very little useable bacteria).

Edited by taylorsmom

Acidophilus, the non dairy one.

Can this be bought at a health food store for humans? or is it better to get the one for canine?

Either or. I also take it, so the dogs and I take the people one. That said, there is a lady here in Toronto who is quite well known in the Canine Nutrition world, Monica Segal. She has her own line of suppliments for Canines and the quality is so good some people take them too!

Here is the link to the page: http://www.monicasegal.com/catalog/product...php?cPath=23_21

Guest taylorsmom

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention--if you are giving him any anti-biotics, make sure you do not give it at the same time that you give the probiotic!! It will defeat the purpose (the good bacteria will be killed)--if you have to keep giving the antibiotic, try to give it at least 8 hours apart from the probiotic. I think flagyl may be an antibiotic, but I am not sure about that??

Guest EnzaFerrari
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention--if you are giving him any anti-biotics, make sure you do not give it at the same time that you give the probiotic!! It will defeat the purpose (the good bacteria will be killed)--if you have to keep giving the antibiotic, try to give it at least 8 hours apart from the probiotic. I think flagyl may be an antibiotic, but I am not sure about that??

My vet and my people doc have always said that is exactly when one should take probiotics as helps to put the good stuff back in as the anti-biotic works. Antibiotics ALWAYS make me sick in some way or another, but since I started taking probiotics when I am put on the them, I simply don't get sick. It does seem counter-intuitive, but that is what I've been told and my experience as well.

Guest taylorsmom

My vet and my people doc have always said that is exactly when one should take probiotics as helps to put the good stuff back in as the anti-biotic works. Antibiotics ALWAYS make me sick in some way or another, but since I started taking probiotics when I am put on the them, I simply don't get sick. It does seem counter-intuitive, but that is what I've been told and my experience as well.

Yup, I agree--but I have been told by my vet that you should not give both at the exact same time, you should spread the dose of anti-and probiotic apart by several hours.

Edited by taylorsmom

I just realized that Monica Segal's Acidophilus comes in powder form, however, Claudia taught me a neat trick for giving the powdered glucosamine - sprinkle some on a turkey slice and fold into a little package. Most of my hounds will take anything this way but I've never has a finicky one....