Epulid

Guest chaoran22

Guest chaoran22

My dog had an epulid (benign oral tumor) on the gum of his big molar (the big giant tooth in the back). The vet removed it saying the xray showed some bone deterioration but if we brushed everyday, we could probably save the tooth. Well it's been a few months and we've brushed every single day, and lately i've seen a suspicious little bump and watched it (at first it looks like he hurt his gum chewing on something maybe) and but all of the sudden overnight, it's huge now. It looks just like the one before did so I assume it's the epulid growing back. We've got a vet appointment on Monday to get it looked at. Just wondering what people's experiences have been. I really really don't want him to lose his molar, it's a good tooth, he chews on that side, and it looks really healthy, it's just the stupid gum around it keeps growing these tumors :( We have to see what the vet says, but has anyone managed to save their dog's tooth with a recurring epulid? He's only 5 years old...I don't want him to not have teeth this early on in his life.

Guest ChasesMum

sorry I am not familiar with those but BLAH! sounds like no fun. Maybe your vet will just remove it again? Molars are NO FUN to remove when the root is healthy so I would think it would be a last resort. Maybe he can do a gum resection or something?

You made me go look :rolleyes:

American Veterinary Dental Society

In dogs, the most common benign tumor is an epulid. This is a benign tumor of the periodontal ligament.

Alternative Vet

EPULIS

Epulis is a non-cancerous (and usually non-serious) condition that has usually resolved coincidentally with homeopathic intervention. In homeopathic terms, the disease is an indication of the 'sycotic' miasm.

It is manifest by a very firm, fleshy swelling (epulid) of the gum, between the teeth, that can be bigger than the teeth. It can interfere with normal chewing and can accumulated food and hair, leading to gum disorder (gingivitis) and possible tooth loss.

What is usually offered is surgical excision (removal) but the condition is notorious for rapid regrowth. At the AVMC, we prefer the medical option first, treating the dog with homeopathy to try to eliminate the tendency. We have been rewarded by the subsequent disappearance of many such growths.

Copyright © AVMC June 2007

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest chaoran22

hmmm - i wonder what it is that they do homeopathically. because as they said, the condition is notorious for rapid regrowth and that's what happened to us. does anyone know of more homeopathic websites and such where maybe I can find alternative solutions? i had googled some but never thought to google alternative medicine. i'd like to find out more. i'll also find out what a gum resection is to see if maybe that's an option. a lot of the gum was cut away when it was removed the first time so if we were to cut away more...he'd have no gum left above the tooth. my poor boy. i feel so bad for him.

ETA: found out what gum resection is and that's what they did before :( also to say, thankfully my boy's doesn't look nearly as scary as the ones in the previous link - it's just a small fingernail sized bump on his gum.

Edited by chaoran22

There are various types of Epuli--some more aggressive than others. Also, it might not be an Epuli--not wanting to scare you but, it really depends on how deep the Dr went excising the first biopsy. If he/she only got the surface then you might not have gotten deep enough to get to the "scary" cells. You need to follow up with your veterinarian. Personally, I would have the tooth extracted and all of the surrounding tissue removed and sent to pathology again. He'll be totally fine w/o the tooth--I doubt you or your boy would ever know it was gone. :P

Losing one tooth would not be a catastrophe for him. Some of mine are missing molars, and I don't think they even notice. So don't be afraid if it comes to that.

In regards to Homeopathy

We have used Calcarea Fluorica 30 ch successfuly for Epulis in Border Terriers

Dosage is 2-3 granules 2 twice a week

Pam

hmmm - i wonder what it is that they do homeopathically. because as they said, the condition is notorious for rapid regrowth and that's what happened to us. does anyone know of more homeopathic websites and such where maybe I can find alternative solutions? i had googled some but never thought to google alternative medicine. i'd like to find out more. i'll also find out what a gum resection is to see if maybe that's an option. a lot of the gum was cut away when it was removed the first time so if we were to cut away more...he'd have no gum left above the tooth. my poor boy. i feel so bad for him.

ETA: found out what gum resection is and that's what they did before :( also to say, thankfully my boy's doesn't look nearly as scary as the ones in the previous link - it's just a small fingernail sized bump on his gum.