Mast Cell Tumor Surgery

tra708

hello,

i got so many sweet replies earlier this week, when i wrote a post about my 13yr old, Abby, had a mast cell diagnosis. our problem is-2 weeks post op, and the incision site is healing nicely, but it WON'T stop bleeding! there's always a slow bleed from one or two of the staples. (there are about 25).

the rest looks like it's healing and the skin is fusing together like it should. i have a vet. appointment tomorrow. just wondering if anyone else has had the problem of slow healing from a mast cell tumor surgery. i'm sure it is NOT infected. just slowly bleeding all the time from one spot.

abby's not in pain as far as i can tell, and she wants to play! she's so frustrated about that.

also, thanks for all who recommended that i contact dr. couto. he's great. just wish i lived closer.

thanks all,

tracy (and abbydog)

2rqyqhd.jpg

Is it bright red?? If not it might be that she has a seroma (fluid build up under the skin). Some seroma's need to be drained and others will reabsorb in time--if it's a seroma warm compresses will help with the absorption. Good luck at the Dr's tomorrow! :P

No help here, but will be interested to hear what the good Dr. has to say tomorrow. Kisses, hugs and prayers for Abby.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Our non-grey Ruby has had 3 mast cell tumor surgeries, but never had a problem with healing. Is the incision somewhere where there is strain on it, like over a joint? I don't really know what could be causing this, but best wishes to you both!!!

Guest VelvetEars

Get a tea bag (black tea, like good old lipton). Moisten it (wet it thoroughly, then squeeze out excess water), and put it under a bandage, over the incision. The tannins in the tea will help clot the blood.

thanks for the advice about the tea! we will try that. we went to a second opinion vet.....he seems more thorough than our first vet. he looked at the stuff that was oozing out, under a microscope, and thought it was slightly infected. gave us more antibiotics, since she was off them. we'll see how she does. meanwhile, an appointment with an oncologist tomorrow and a holistic lady on friday. exploring ALL options!!

2rqyqhd.jpg

Let's hope the oncologist has a more positive diagnosis. Prayers for Abby!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 2 weeks later...

here's an update: abby went to the oncologist, who seemed to know her stuff. she's had one dose of CCNU chemo, she's on a very low dose of prednisone, and taking the K-9 Immunity pills. her incision is now totally healed, she's eating well, and seems like her old self. she does seem more

tired than usual....she doesn't want to play or run for as long as she did before. anyway. i am hopeful and encouraged in her progress and i'm planning on having many more months with her. thanks for the kind replies to my earlier post. happy holidays/new year!

2rqyqhd.jpg