Disk Problem With 13 Year Old Grey?

Guest Hooperman42

Cody had the same problem in her lower back... She was on pred AND doing acupuncture for a year and a half & did so much better (BUT I never did let her run after that...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest joedogs_mom

Not trying to hijack but...

Did pain meds NOT work for any of you? I mean we had to make the decision to either put Joe through surgery or put him to sleep pretty much after a few months of being off and on various pain meds and the meds not really providing total relief.

Then again, I feel like we didn't do the perfect job of managing his romps in the backyard and such...I guess we should have been leash walking him and totally restricting his movement in the house. He *did* jump on and off our bed a couple of times in his last couple of weeks (I had forgotten to put up the golf club that normally deterred him from doing so)...and this definitely aggravated his condition. Quality of life over quantity I guess -- I mean he would have hated to have been cooped up in a crate and not allowed to snuggle or jog around the yard.

ANYWAY -- just thought I'd throw that out there to see about others' experience with pain meds possibly not really helping as much as necessary.

Guest LokisMom
I just said I went against my vets recommendation to try accupuncture instead, regretted it and I won't do it again. YMMV.

Short hijack--- What is YMMV? I will never get all these abbreviations.

Edited to answer the question right above, our boy was in pain but that was not the bulk of his problem. His problem was not being able to put weight on his legs. They just simply would not hold him up. He was on pain meds and it managed the pain but would not make his legs work.

His quality of life is currently back to what it was before (excepting he is on leash walks for another week or so) so i think it really depends on what the dog's condition/diagnosis is as to whether pain meds are that effective and whether the quality of life will ever be enough to make it worth it.

Edited by LokisMom

Guest joedogs_mom
I just said I went against my vets recommendation to try accupuncture instead, regretted it and I won't do it again. YMMV.

Short hijack--- What is YMMV? I will never get all these abbreviations.

Edited to answer the question right above, our boy was in pain but that was not the bulk of his problem. His problem was not being able to put weight on his legs. They just simply would not hold him up. He was on pain meds and it managed the pain but would not make his legs work.

His quality of life is currently back to what it was before (excepting he is on leash walks for another week or so) so i think it really depends on what the dog's condition/diagnosis is as to whether pain meds are that effective and whether the quality of life will ever be enough to make it worth it.

Thanks Lokismom -- I will forever be second guessing our decision to let him go...but I guess that's normal.