Has Anyone Tried Duralactin?

Guest Smiley

Now that winter is here, Smiley is once again "nibbling" at the base of his tail and having trouble jumping into my car. The x-rays we had done last year didn't show arthritis, nor was there any evidence of flea bites (which the vet said is a common cause of nibbling at the base of the tail). So we concluded it is like human back pain-invisible on scans, but still there. He has done well on Deramaxx on the past, but I was hoping for a more long-term solution. Our local dog food guy who is very knowledgable suggested trying Duralactin which is a natural substitute for Rimadyl. We've just started it and are giving him 1 tablet 2x/day. Has anyone tried this and if so, did you have success with it? Thanks!

Patsie(12 1/2) has been on Duralactin for about 5 months, and I've been able to not use the Metacam as often. She was getting Metacam about 3 times a week and now I give it maybe 3 times a month when she really over does it, and she's gone some months without needing the metacam at all. She has 2 compressed vertebrae in her neck, and arthritis in her spine and joints and I think the Duralactin has helped her a lot.

I would definitely recommend it. I did notice that it took about a week to 10 days before I saw a difference in her mobility.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest PA_Greys

Our greyhound Bear was on Duralactin for years, for neck

pain. We found it to be a great alternative, worked well.

I don't believe you need a prescription, we always bought

it from Kv vet or fosters/Smith, etc. with no prescription.

No prescription is needed. I got it from the specialty dog food store near me. I would imagine you could find it online. I paid $33 for 60 tablets which would be a month's worth.

I get it from entirelypets.com and if I remember correctly it's about $18.00 for 60 tabs and no prescription needed. It's all natural and from what I understand, has no side effects with other meds. I really like that it's a natural anti-inflammatory and doesn't harm the stomach and kidneys like the NSAIDs.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest sirsmom

Sir does well on Rimadyl, Durlactin and Glycoflex. His arthiritis is controlled on this cocktail. I followed the advice of a poster on this site for the Durlactin