Potential Causes Of Limping And Pain

Guest DarkHorse

Guest DarkHorse

Last night, Araley yelped about four times over the space of 30 minutes and seemed to be limping on her right hind leg. We got her to walk around and then took her down stairs and outside... she seemed to be fine after the bit of walking around in the apartment and showed no signs of pain or limping going up or down the stairs. We assumed she'd slept on her leg funny, as she was fine for the rest of the night.

Today, she is limping on the same leg and has yelped once... this after getting up fine, going out for her walk fine and coming back in for her morning nap. She was fine until about 20 minutes ago (about 4 hours after her morning walk and 3 and a half since she started her nap). I've felt over her entire leg and haven't noticed any knots in the muscle or anything else unusual. She did scrape this leg about a week ago (jumped out of the car right onto a gardening stake) but it left a welt without breaking the skin and isn't visible anymore.

We're figuring that if her limping continues or if she still exhibits signs of pain (or both) by tomorrow morning we'll get her into the vet... is this wise or should we wait until Monday? Obviously if it were to get worse, we'd take her to the E-vet but if this is likely to be something like a strained muscle, I'd rather give it a few days.

So, what can cause intermittent limping and pain (she doesn't yelp every time she puts weight on the leg and she was walking fine for hours in between the two incidents)? Would you suggest going in tomorrow or Monday, assuming she continues to limp and yelp off and on but doesn't worsen? What should we have the vet look at first; what's the most likely thing?

ETA: And, of course, what are some things we can do to keep her more comfortable/speed up recovery if it is just a strained muscle or sleeping on it funny?

Edited by DarkHorse

I'd wait til Monday to see if it goes away. It could be anything, really.

If you think it's a pain response, you can give a buffered aspirin with food to make her comfortable. Maybe keep her walks to a minimum this weekend in case it's a muscle thing.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest DarkHorse

What does a corn look like? I did check her pads (and in between) for any thorns or pebbles or anything wedged in there and everything looks the way it always has but I might have missed a corn if it's not obvious.

Corns are little hard spots, like a callous. They usually are round and either whitish or yellowish in colour. They feel harder than pad skin when you touch them.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest DarkHorse

Definitely no corns on any of her paws, then. I felt all them, poked and prodded and nothing felt out of the ordinary. I really hope she's just strained herself somehow. Walks will be kept to 10 minute potty breaks with rides on the elevator (lucky her) to keep her from making it worse.

Like someone said, it could be anything. Wait till Monday and if it's still there, bring her in for possible x-rays.

Hope it's nothing but a sprained muscle.

How old is she?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest DarkHorse

She only just turned 4 a month ago so I'm more inclined to believe a sprain than something really bad, knock on wood.

Upon further observation it seems that she's favouring her hock joint or just above or below. She was yelping again when she got up from her nap to greet DBF but nothing since, and her limping's lightened up a bit. We're going to try and make sure she doesn't lay on the leg tonight and see what shakes out in the morning.

Guest Giselle

Have a hooman podiatrist look at it :lol

Seriously, I took Giselle to the vet. After $350+, we determined that it was just a soft tissue injury. Where and when and how? Eh. Anybody's guess.

And that's when I asked a family member (the podiatrist) to look at it, and he determined exactly where muscle was injured and how to treat it until it heals. For free. :rolleyes: FWIW, Giselle has been limping for more than 2 weeks. Here's hoping it's nothing! By the way, I gave the injury about 3-5 days before I took her in.