Chemo Question

RobinM

I should have asked my vet this, but I didn't.

Does the reaction from chemo gets worse as it goes on? Does it build in the system so everytime there is more and more?

If so, I shudder to think how chemo # 4 and 5 will be.

Poll is 1 day post chemo. So far she has had 2 zukes today. They are the size of a triscuit cracker.

I offered shredded chicky, she licked it and moved to another bed. What that is telling me is that she is nauseous. She had the shot of cerenia yesterday and a pill of cerenia today.

I will later, but I am wondering if there is a buildup in their system.

Anyone know?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest myjazzy

From my experience with Jazzy, yes, it seems that the effects are cummulative. It seemed to take her longer to bounce back from the later chemo sessions. :grouphug I know how hard it is to see them not eat when you know they need to keep up their strength, but it will pass, and she'll eat when she feels better.

I figured. Sigh.

She is hungry and just stated eating some dried chicken strips, so I quickly put down the shredded chicken which she started to eat. All of a sudden she ran down the stairs to the back door to go out and prob poop. DH wis waiting to bring her in and up.

Hopefully, she will continue.

I'm scared to think of the 4th and 5th chemo. My poor baby. Her good days are sooooooooooooooooo amazingly good and the bad days suck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Sending good thoughts for Polli - I know you're worried, Robin (of course you are, you're her mum), but she WILL come back from these nasty chemo sessions. She is a strong girl.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

We're all rooting for you Polli!! :kiss2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Thanks Kerry AND everyone else...

you know, I looked at her from afar on Sunday. She was running in the backyard trying to get into the game that Teddy and Chloe were playing. She was demanding and rooing and eating and happy and the light in her eyes shone. And as Sunday came to a close, I knew what was in store the following day.

I held her close and told her how sorry I was that she would be feeling yucky, but sometims you have to feel yucky before you can feel greyt again. How I wish she understood.

We will get there. I know the only way to get over it is to go through it. I just wish it were easier on her. Seeing her look less Polli-like (how's that for a word!?) breaks my heart.

It will take a bit of time, but you are right, my Polli girl is strong, she is determined and she is loved.

Edited by RobinM

Bonnie isn't on the same chemo medications as Polli, but we've been doing chemo treatments for a straight 9 1/2 months. :( I don't think I would say that it gets worse the further along we go. Each medication is different, and we've had some that have been terrible on Bonnie and some that are perfectly fine.

Dr. Couto recommended putting Bonnie back on a chemo drug that really caused problems with her appetite. We are going to try it again (which we said we'd never do), but it's what is best for Bonnie right now. We'll see how it goes. But I'm with you...I hate giving them medication that obviously makes them sick to actually make them get better! :blink: It seems so backwards!!! Hang in there. ;)

Sending prayers and hugs for sweet Polli. Angel LaceyLaine did get sicker with each chemo treatment. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest tennesseegrey

I have one on chem now also. He had his second round yesterday and seems to be tolerating it about the same as the first. Not eating everything in his bowl. My first grey had 5 rounds of chemo last year and hers did not seem to change from treatment to treatment. My prayers are with you. It's no fun, but they're so worth it.

I have one on chem now also. He had his second round yesterday and seems to be tolerating it about the same as the first. Not eating everything in his bowl. My first grey had 5 rounds of chemo last year and hers did not seem to change from treatment to treatment. My prayers are with you. It's no fun, but they're so worth it.

Not eating everything in bowl??!!!! Bowl? Polli wants to know what that is!!! Polli will only eat while laying down with her food on a towel. And that is when she is feeling greyt!!! Why? I have no idea, that's just what works and when something works, I don't change it.

Did your grey who ha 5 rounds last year have carboplatin? It does make sense for it to be worse as it accumulates in their bodies which is probably why the vet originally said to me Polli will have 5 chemos IF she can tolerate it, if not 4, but we would like to have 5.

And yes, she is so so worth it. :blush:blush

Guest tennesseegrey

We must spoil them. I guess they all tolerate chemo differently, kind of like us human folk. Yes, my Rosie girl had 5 rounds of Carboplatin. She had an enlarged heart and could not tolerate Adriamycin. She tolerated it pretty well. Ceasar is currently on Adriamycin and just took his second round. He did the same thing with his first treatment. My prayers go out for Polli. Rosie lost her front leg also. Ceasar lost his back leg and part of his pelvis. Isn't it amazing how well they get around without complaining?

Guest EmbersDad

embers second treatment has gone much like the first. she got the cerenia shot, and they sent home 4 more cerenia pills. today is day 5 since round 2. things seem about the same as the first round with the exception that she may not be as lazy as before. the eating has been about the same. the mickey d's double cheeseburgers do the trick and asthe days progressed, she would eat more and more of the kibble along with the burger. im guessing this is how it will be, and if so...im ok with it. cmon polli...time for u to munch girlie!

She actually ate a HUGE boiled and shredded chicken breast and a bunch of cookies - THANK G-D and to you all for your prayers.

Thank goodness! This is the first opportunity to check in today to see how Miss Polli is doing. Happy days! :yay Pplllleeaassee keep eating for Mommie, ok Polli? Shredded chicken is yummy!

And yes, my experience with chemo is that it got worse after each treatment. Nikki made it through 8 of 13 and we had to stop. Miss Polli is going to bulldoze her way through as many treatments as is thrown at her - she's one tough cookie!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Why with the chemo are there so many variations of duration? 5 times, 13 times, Kristin said 9 MONTHS- OMG.. does that depend on the type of cancer?

Polli, like Ember had Osteosarcoma and I believe Ember will also undergo 5 treatments, a little different than Polli's but 5 treatments.

I'm not an expert on chemo by any stretch, but we've certainly learned a lot since Bonnie's diagnosis. There's all kinds of chemo medications and protocols. Just for lymphoma, there are several recommended protocols that all get good results. Just depends on the animal, the vet, and what everyone feels comfortable with for that specific case. Bonnie has been in and out of remission several times, so that's why we have had to keep doing chemo. It keeps her lymph nodes down and the cancer away! :clap

:yay Greyt news that Polli ate all of that chicken!!! Keep fighting, Polli!!! :D

Guest EmbersDad
Why with the chemo are there so many variations of duration? 5 times, 13 times, Kristin said 9 MONTHS- OMG.. does that depend on the type of cancer?

Polli, like Ember had Osteosarcoma and I believe Ember will also undergo 5 treatments, a little different than Polli's but 5 treatments.

actually i thought dr ian told me 6 total. 3 doxy and 3 carboplatin over a course of 16 weeks. i will ask again on friday when she has her cbc.

She actually ate a HUGE boiled and shredded chicken breast and a bunch of cookies - THANK G-D and to you all for your prayers.

I told you so! :D

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

actually i thought dr ian told me 6 total. 3 doxy and 3 carboplatin over a course of 16 weeks. i will ask again on friday when she has her cbc.

Like I said, there are so many different protocols and yours and mine are both protocols that OSU uses.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

From my own chemo experience, the symptoms did not increase in magnitude from treatment to treatment. The time to bounce back after each chemo did lengthen a bit with each one. The one symptom that is the exception was heartburn. I had steroids for several days for each chemo and about 5 days after treatment, the heartburn from the steroids would set in. The heartburn did get worse and longer for each treatment.

From what I could tell with the dogs' chemo, each treatment was about the same.

Guest EmbersDad

this is day 6 since embers 2nd treatment and she is back to eating normally and playing with her toys. no problems with the new foster either. took about 6 days for her to be her old self after the first go round.

Guest tennesseegrey

How's Polli's appetite today? Caesar's appetite still has not returned. He ate less this evening than last evening. Thanks for your post on OS Suppliments. I'm really intersted in the Tamoxafin possibilty. I'm on it for high risk breast cancer and there are silimarities between the two cancers.

Today she is ok. So far she has eaten a handful of cookies and about 3/4 cup of shredded chicken. I haven't offered her any kibble as of yet. I am pretty sure she will reject it along with the chicky. I will try to add the kibble in a day or 2.