Help, Advice Needed - Asap

Guest G2G_Greys

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandBrindle

Poor Waldo :grouphug

If you need anything let me know. I'm off tomorrow and will be at Ina Road AH in the morning.

Is there any way to give the carafate without the capsule, or will that just not work?

Guest HornGreys

Thanks MJ. We crushed the pill and put it in water tonight then put it down him with a dropper. So far it is staying down. We are going to try to feed him in a little bit. Just not sure what is going on and what we could do to help him.

Guest HornGreys

We just spoke to our vet. He is now in pain and panting. We gave him some pain meds to keep him calm for the night and will give him another one in the middle of the night. We will be bringing him in first thing in the morning. Sad to say but I don't think we will be coming home with him. Wish we had more time but time is not on our side.

Please say a prayer for Waldo and his mom that she will make the right choice for Waldo. This is a real sad day.

Guest Winterwish

Carafate should be given as what's called a 'slurry',which means you do crush it,put it in water,say a teaspoon,and give it that way.

You don't really even have to crush it. It'll begin to dissolve when it's put in a small bit of water.

This is how it needs be given to dogs as well as people.

Sending prayers for Waldo! Please hang in there puppy.  :hope  :hope  

Edited by Winterwish

Sounds like he's bleeding.

An ultrasound shouldn't cost too much.

Carafate - Ryan has had it 2 hours before meals and also been told that it is fine to give WITH meals.

But you can dissolve it in a bit of water first - I used to have to use a syringe and get it into Ryan that way. Last time around it went in a piece of hot dog since I was told it was fine to give with food/meals.

Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Winterwish
Hookworms do cause black stools. Not sure how a hookworm infestation could be judged as 'slight', if the dog has any number of hookworms, they reproduce and a single round of wormer will not affect those that haven't migrated. Hookworms can be lethal if not treated and they can be resistant to treatment. So yes, continue to rule-out other causes, but discuss with your vet or a second opinion vet immediately treating your dog again for hookworms.

This is very important information Cynthia posted. That's good he began his first treatment already. If you can't get to a vet now,try not to despair if you can. I'm sorry,I know that's so hard to do,but Waldo may begin to get stronger each day. :grouphug

Edited by Winterwish

Guest HornGreys

No we are not taking him to the e-vet tonight. His health is so frail that even if we find out where is going on inside he wouldn't make it through the surgery. It is just a really hard decission for his mom to make.

If we were back where we were a couple of days ago when he was doing better and eating then I think that we could do a lot more for him. Right now he is sleeping comfortably with the pain meds. He still is drinking but the bloody diarhea is not going away. Gums still look good. The big problem is that every sign that we should be seeing we are not.

After his "episode" he really shouldn't be alive but he is. But looking at him now and looking into his eyes you can tell that he is done fighting.

Guest Winterwish

That's good he's been drinking and is now sleeping comfortably.

Sending prayers he'll sleep easy thru' the whole night. :hope:hope

Edited by Winterwish