Throwing Up - Any Ideas?

Guest pedalmasher

Guest pedalmasher

Kitty, my new Greyhound girl of just over 2 weeks has been throwing up the last three days. I am careful not to exercise her an hour before to an hour after meals. She is perfectly lively, playful and full of energy and always ready for action. The last three days she has thrown up a thin, yellowish, watery type of vomit. She seems to exhibit a bit of a choking action trying to bring up the vomit. She seems fine before and after. It typically happens many hours after a meal or exercise. She eats a diet of Nurtro Natural Choice Large Breed Senior food. We put a small amount of olive oil on the food. She is 5 years old. Any ideas? Thanks.

Guest pedalmasher
Is it just one puke a day?

Yes

she is puking bile which only happens on an empty stomach. Either feed her more at meals or give her some snacks in between meals

My significent other opined that she was throwing up bile. Is it caused by an empty stomach, or could there be an underlying cause? If it is the former, I guess adding an afternoon snack will help. I feed her 1 1/2 cups each in the morning and evening for a total of three cups a day. She is 60 lbs.

If she's just off the track she may take a while to adapt from her racing diet and weight. If her meals are far apart she may need a snack. If there's no change in her appetite (she still likes to eat and doesn't refuse food or treats) she's probably vomiting from a too empty stomach. That yellow stuff is just bile. If it were me I wouldn't add any food but feed her 3x a day, 1 cup of kibble each, and see how she does. She may need more food even though she's on the smaller side.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My significent other opined that she was throwing up bile. Is it caused by an empty stomach, or could there be an underlying cause? If it is the former, I guess adding an afternoon snack will help. I feed her 1 1/2 cups each in the morning and evening for a total of three cups a day. She is 60 lbs.

yellow puke is bile which is an empty tummy thing. She needs more food at meal times or a snack in between

Yep. Try a snack now and then.

If that doesn't work ..... One of my dogs vomited yellow bile at least once daily for over 6 months. I spent hundreds of dollars on tests. Tried snacks, different feeding schedules, the works. Turned out to be something in the Nutro brand of food. As soon as I switched him to a different brand of food, the vomiting stopped.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest pedalmasher
Yep. Try a snack now and then.

If that doesn't work ..... One of my dogs vomited yellow bile at least once daily for over 6 months. I spent hundreds of dollars on tests. Tried snacks, different feeding schedules, the works. Turned out to be something in the Nutro brand of food. As soon as I switched him to a different brand of food, the vomiting stopped.

That's good to know - thanks! BTW, what did you switch to?

Honestly can't remember what I tried first! Might've been ProPlan. When I switched, vet and I were still scratching our heads over the vomiting, and I was switching food due to rather mooshy poop. Pup ended up eating mostly Science Diet Lamb & Rice. It's very similar in formula to the Nutro ... but a few ingredients are different, and that was enough.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest pedalmasher
Honestly can't remember what I tried first! Might've been ProPlan. When I switched, vet and I were still scratching our heads over the vomiting, and I was switching food due to rather mooshy poop. Pup ended up eating mostly Science Diet Lamb & Rice. It's very similar in formula to the Nutro ... but a few ingredients are different, and that was enough.

Thanks. She has had mushy poop since I got her. I'll see how it goes through this bag. I didn't realize until I had purchased the Nutro and was talking to some Greyhound folks on the way out, that I had been sold on the food by a Nutro rep. I thought I was talking with an employee of Petsmart.

Some folks have good results with Nutro, some don't. All dogs are different :) .

Just to give you ideas, other foods that have worked well here (some for different dogs) include Purina ONE Sensitive Systems, Solid Gold Mmillennia Beef & Barley, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Pinnacle Duck & Oatmeal, IAMS Adult. Over in the "Food" forum, you'll find even more!

Guest pedalmasher
Some folks have good results with Nutro, some don't. All dogs are different :) .

Just to give you ideas, other foods that have worked well here (some for different dogs) include Purina ONE Sensitive Systems, Solid Gold Mmillennia Beef & Barley, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Pinnacle Duck & Oatmeal, IAMS Adult. Over in the "Food" forum, you'll find even more!

I appreciate the information. Thanks.

Guest MJandthe6

My little foster that came on the truck with Kitty was about 50 lbs. and she ate 2 1/2 cups WITH additions twice daily. I couldn't believe how much she ate--as much as my 89 pounder! She also got a big dog biscuit at least once daily. She was with me for 10 days and I couldn't see that she gained anything. Maybe Kitty just needs more food to carry her through her day so her stomach doesn't get so empty.

Guest pedalmasher
My little foster that came on the truck with Kitty was about 50 lbs. and she ate 2 1/2 cups WITH additions twice daily. I couldn't believe how much she ate--as much as my 89 pounder! She also got a big dog biscuit at least once daily. She was with me for 10 days and I couldn't see that she gained anything. Maybe Kitty just needs more food to carry her through her day so her stomach doesn't get so empty.

What a great coincidence!! I read that Kitty was used to eating that much, but it seemed excessive based on the charts on the food bag and the fact that she was just 58 pounds.

Kitty is the most amazing dog I have ever known. She is a joy to be around and enhances my life greatly. I have never seen a Grey make an aggressive move, but yesterday there was this totally untrained Boxer at the dog park that was all over me much to my dismay. I finally had to resort to pulling a Ceasar Milan, and pinning the dog to the ground. When she got up and after me again, Kitty made a serious growl and move on the dog, and the dog left the area quickly. I guess it was very obvious said in dog language, "Get the hell out of here and leave my master alone - NOW!" :)

BTW, what do you feed your Greys?

Edited by pedalmasher