Tpn Line May Be Need For Penny

Penny may need a TPN line placed in the next 24-48 hours. Does anyone have experience

with this? Mainly I want to know if it's painful for a grey to have this in their neck. The doctor

says no, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't at least be uncomfortable.

I'd love to hear positive experiences only, but I want to know both good and bad.

It may be a life or death decision.....

2wck1zc.jpg

A TPN line is just a regular central line (IV) inserted into a large vein, closer to the heart (as opposed to a peripheral line, a plain old IV in the leg or wherever). It shouldn't cause her any pain. I'm sure they explained TPN to you, so I won't go into that, but the line itself shouldn't be a problem for her. And she's in the ICU, so central line care is probably second nature to them there.

I have no experience with dog central lines/TPN, only human....but same principle.

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

I have no experience with pets and TPN lines but with people~our patients have no problems. Sending more hugs and prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

This is actually an excellent idea. Penny desperately needs calories and nutrients in order to heal. She can get a far greater concentration via a TPN line than via a PPN (meaning, through a peripheral vein, not a central vein leading directly to the heart) line. The critical-care vets can calculate out exactly what her metabolic needs are, and supply these through the TPN line. The line should not be at all uncomfortable once it's in. She needs many more calories than an otherwise healthy dog would: they have to supply the "maintenance" calories and nutrients she needs on a day-by-day basis, then add on the losses from vomiting, diarrhea, stress, fever, etc.

I'm glad they're being very aggressive about treating her. And I hope that at this time next week, she'll be home!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg