What Is This?

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

Bobby, my foster, started out with a red circle on his leg yesterday. He started licking it and now this is what it looks like.

BOBBY001.jpg

BOBBY004.jpg

BOBBY005.jpg

Any ideas what this might be? I am going to give him some benadryl to see if that might stop the itching. He doesn't have any other spots on him as of right now and none of my dogs or the cats have any either.

Looks like a hot spot but I am not sure.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Ouch that looks sore. Can you try a triple antibiotic ointment and wrap it lightly? My collie used to get hot spots that looked similar to this, however it was on his tail and he didn't lick it. I would put a generic ab ointment on it and it would clear right up.

Guest houndlover
Ouch that looks sore. Can you try a triple antibiotic ointment and wrap it lightly? My collie used to get hot spots that looked similar to this, however it was on his tail and he didn't lick it. I would put a generic ab ointment on it and it would clear right up.

I have not tried an ab ointment but I will. I have been giving him Bendryl and it isn't helping. He is limping on his leg now which leads me to believe that his leg might hurt and that is why he is licking at it and causing a hot spot. He is going to go to the vet this week to have it looked at. Hopefully it is nothing serious and it clears up soon b/c he is going to his new home in 2 weeks!

Thanks for all of your input. I will update after the vet visit.

Guest lizmego

I'd go to the vet. Could be a spider bite that is itching, especially if the wound appears to be getting bigger. If the vet recommends an e-collar, I'd recommend just wrapping the leg or if you need loose wrapping, find a long-sleeve t-shirt you don't need, but the arm out of it, and then use that to place his leg into and then tape each end so he can't get to the wound.

I have not tried an ab ointment but I will. I have been giving him Bendryl and it isn't helping. He is limping on his leg now which leads me to believe that his leg might hurt and that is why he is licking at it and causing a hot spot. He is going to go to the vet this week to have it looked at. Hopefully it is nothing serious and it clears up soon b/c he is going to his new home in 2 weeks!

Thanks for all of your input. I will update after the vet visit.

Hopefully it's not infected. Poor baby.