Lymphoma - Tcell Or Bcell? (update Post #5, It's B)

Today we'll find out if Penny's lymphoma is B-cell or T-cell. If it's B-cell, then she'll be getting a new protocol as part of a research study. If not, she won't be in the study.

So I'm wondering, which type is more prevalent in greyhounds? If you've had a grey with lymphoma that has been typed, can you respond and tell me which type yours had?

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg

If I can recall, I think B-cell is more common in all breeds and a little easier to treat. Something about T-cell makes the lymphoma more resistant to treatment. :dunno Someone correct me, if that's not accurate.

I will do some more research for you. Do you have the book "Help Your Dog Fight Cancer" by Laurie Caplan? I believe she mentions the differences in the book. Let us know what you find out. Take Care.

She is B-cell! While cancer is not good news, since B-cell is more treatable, I am relieved.

She is enrolled in a study at Tufts/Foster Hospital where they are trying a drug the researchers hope to use with humans in Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. It's all expenses paid, and even if we pull her out of the study, they give her $1000 towards any vet care at Tufts- like a rescue remedy or whatever.

Penny's feeling a little better yesterday and today. She absolutely LOVES going to Tufts because of all the people that come to see her and give her scritches. Otherwise I wouldn't do the study with her.

Here is a photo from last night. She was eating leftovers of my crockpot Chilli and didn't want to get up off her blankie.

ETA: We don't have that book on fighting cancer. I'll have to find a copy to read.

Penny_chilli2.jpg

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg

Good news! Sending prayers that the study puts your little lady in a very very long remission! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

That pic is pretty cute. She can't be bothered to even sit up to clean that plate. :lol Glad you are able to try the treatment. I hope it buys you a lot of quality time. I'll look forward to updates. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Do you know what type of trial they are doing? In other words, will Penny definitely get the experimental drug, or are there other "arms" of the trial where some dogs get a traditional treatment or a placebo instead of the investigational drug? If there is more than one arm to the trial, do you know which one Penny is in?

Have they told you any more about the new drug? I'm curious if it's similar to other chemo agents that are usually used in treating cancers or if it's something completely new.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I wrote this big response the other day and something happened....poof, it was gone! :(

I'm so hopefully about this study and Penny! All expenses paid would be a dream!!! ;) Please keep us updated on how things are going. Is Penny guaranteed to get at least some kind of chemo drug during the study? I looked at a couple of different ones as we were starting Bonnie's chemo. It sounded like a dog wouldn't be getting nothing at all, at the very least they would give a good chemo protocol, even if it wasn't the new drug that was being studied.

Good luck! :goodluck Give Penny a big kiss from us.