Bathing Advice Needed - Post Stitches

Earlier this week, I realized that Penny's lymphoma had relapsed.

For a month now, she has been on antibiotics for a UTI (third antibiotic isn't working). She has been incontinent of urine whenever she lays down, no matter how frequently we take her out. I bathe her in the tub at least once a week and wash her up with soap and a towel at least once daily. Despite that, her white fur on her hind end is light yellow. I can't get it out. Now she has stitches (see photo below- lymph node removed to determine whether lymphoma is B-cell or T-cell). So I have to keep that area dry.

Penny_medical_002d.jpg

I really want to clean her up- maybe hydrogen peroxide? Or should I just let it go- the end may be near for her and I just want her to be happy and comfortable. She goes back to Tufts/Foster Hospital on Tuesday for more testing and possibly enrollment in a research study, so the incontinence will be dealt with then. I really don't want to get her in the car and bring her to a groomer, she gets nervous in the car now and I want to avoid that. Any ideas about a "home remedy" that is gentle but might be effective?

Hopefully this makes sense. I've lost my mind with my grief over the whole situation.

ETA: Tornado didn't want me taking photos of his sister's bum-bum:

Penny_medical_001.jpg

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg

I am sorry to hear you are going through so much right now. :grouphug I would just use a cloth and a bucket of warm soapy water (a Betadine mix?) and wipe her down as best you can. The Betadine won't take the yellow out but it is an antibacterial and won't hurt the stitches area if you happen to get some on there. Is that wound protected when she is sleeping? I could see that being a problem if it runs down her leg. Could you maybe put a towel back there when she sleeps so that the towel absorbs it? That way maybe it won't make it far down her leg and instead will absorb into the bunched towel by the base of her tail. :dunno

Hoping you have many more days with her.... :goodluck:hope

Might try alcohol-free baby wipes to clean her up a bit with minimal fuss and muss?

I'm so sorry your lovely girl isn't doing well. My heart goes out to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It sounds like it could be that the meds could be causing the discoloration (when she leaks). If it was me I would just let it go for now. Certainly continue to clean her up, but I wouldn't worry so much about appearances at this point in time. There will be time enough for that when she recovers.

Guest ChasesMum

I was going to recommend baby wipes as well, or you can find alcohol free personal hygeine wipes for adults that may help. I buy a cheap kind from WalMart for my oldest daughter in the toilet paper section, under $2 CDN for a package! I use them on Chase too if she has a clinger...

Guest EmbersDad

ember just had her leg amputated for osteo and i asked about bathing and the people who replied told me about wipe off bath foam. i think thats what it was, havent looked into it yet.

What about a waterless shampoo? I like the idea of alcohol-free wipes, too, whether adult wipes or baby wipes.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I agree with the wipes idea.

Hugs to all of you. :grouphug Lymphoma is so frustrating, isn't it? Such an emotional rollercoaster. I hope this is the bottom of a huge hill and you'll be on your way back up soon. Take Care. Give Penny a big kiss from Bonnie. :kiss2

Guest luvRgreys

Cottonelle wipes would be good I think. I am sorry you are going through this. Lost Buddy, my heart grey to lympho-sarcoma several years ago. Boy cancer stinks.

We've tried "personal hygiene" wipes for Spiff, but they didn't really work well to get off the yellow pee coloration if we didn't use them right away. We haven't really found anything that works -- but I wonder if one of those products meant to remove the tear stains from little white dogs' faces would work??

Hugs to you and gentle scritches for Penny.