Another Poop Question

maryz

Sherri pooped tonight after dinner and I noticed two little white MOVING objects. I have given her Interceptor every

month since I adopted her. I thought that medication took care of worms. I also thought tapeworm segments didn't

move when they came out. What could these worms be? She did eat a piece of cat poop earlier in the week from one

of my feral cats. Could this be where she got them from?

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest LokisMom

I don't know about Interceptor but some of the worm meds do not cover all types of worms. I'd have the vet do a fecal and treat for the worms no matter what the result of the fecal. Loki had worms that did not show up on the fecal but as I was looking at them in his poop periodically, I knew they were there.

Guest SoulsMom
I don't know about Interceptor but some of the worm meds do not cover all types of worms. I'd have the vet do a fecal and treat for the worms no matter what the result of the fecal. Loki had worms that did not show up on the fecal but as I was looking at them in his poop periodically, I knew they were there.

Ditto.

Some worms don't show up in a fecal. Soul is being treated for suspected worms right now. According to the vet at Tufts, apparently they see this a lot in greyhounds, even after they've been retired for sometime.

Guest longdogs

It sounds like tapeworm. Fresh segments twitch. Interceptor Spectrum is supposed to work against tapes, 'plain' Interceptor covers other worms but excludes tapes. The most common tapeworm is acquired by eating a flea so be sure your dog doesn't have fleas also. Worms are not usually passed on by eating poop directly. A dose of all-wormer or tape-wormer will quickly fix the problem.

Thanks everyone. I called my daughter in Georgia, who is a vet tech, and she thought it sounded like tapeworms, too.

I will be calling the vet in the morning to get Sherri the needed medication. By the way, she is on Frontline Plus and the

regular Interceptor. Maybe I should reconsider these?

Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

Guest KennelMom

You're probably fine sticking with the Frontline and Interceptor if the Frontline generally does a good job of keeping fleas off your dog. If you don't find fleas or flea dirt, I'd just treat the tapes and move on with life. When you have dogs, worms happen.

Guest longdogs

She may have eaten an infected flea before you Frontlined her, or might just have been unlucky. There's no need to change if you don't want to. Tapes at least make themselves known and are not terribly harmful. You can dose her now and see what happens in the future. If they recur you can swap to Interceptor Spectrum or just give her another dose of tapewormer as needed.

Guest LindsaySF
You're probably fine sticking with the Frontline and Interceptor if the Frontline generally does a good job of keeping fleas off your dog. If you don't find fleas or flea dirt, I'd just treat the tapes and move on with life. When you have dogs, worms happen.

:nod

EWWWW!

That was my reaction too.