Vet Tape Stuck To Fur

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

Sorry to post this here with so many serious issues going on, but I'm in a pickle here. I had gauze secured with tape around a boo-boo of Johnny B's and a sock over it for the day. When I went to remove it I got all of the gauze off, but there is about a one inch square of tape stuck directly to his fur that's really stuck on there good. Any tricks for removing it without tearing his tender skin (tape is not stuck to wound - to the fur on the other side - but he has very sparse fur)

Edited by HersheysMom

This has happened with Misty more times than I care to remember. The first time I got it off using olive oil, that was a bit messy. Second time I tried just soap and water several times throughout the day. Then I finally ended up letting it come off by itself, and it does after several days.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest HersheysMom
This has happened with Misty more times than I care to remember. The first time I got it off using olive oil, that was a bit messy. Second time I tried just soap and water several times throughout the day. Then I finally ended up letting it come off by itself, and it does after several days.

Yeah, I kind of left it there for now figuring it would work itself off eventually...at least I got it to the point where he can walk - more was stuck than that but I just pulled hard and quick to get the rest off. I'll try working on this last section with soap and water.

Poor guy puts up with a lot :rolleyes:

I hate when they insist on using tape. I often wonder how the techs would like it if we pulled tape off of them. They always say they have to use it to keep the bandage on.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest HersheysMom

Paper tape....I imagine you can tear it, also, instead of having to use scissors??

Thanks all - off to the kitchen to grab some olive oil - going to be a fun night!

Eek! I had to deal with this with my own skin after recent injuries! Even paper tape ripped the HE77 out of my skin!

I found that marinating in baby oil really helped loosen the adhesive, but I had to marinate for several minutes. If I had any resistance at all, I was concerned that the skin would rip (literally - I am THAT sensitive), so I'd apply more oil. I had to do this every day, because I needed to apply topical antibiotics while the sutures were in. It was NOT FUN!

Thankfully, I could use less irritating band-aids once the sutures were out, and now I am healed enough that I use nothing. But it was NOT GOOD for a while - I had major bruising, then the skin irritation besides. I looked like an abuse victim!

*ETA: I would also place his muzzle on him. Even the sweetest, gentlest dogs can/will bite if in pain. I did not need a muzzle, however. ;)

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest HersheysMom

All done already!! I used canola oil and a Qtip - worked great!

(What a story, Sarah!)

Thanks Gters - I knew I would get a quick response :)