Borzoi Yelping When Standing

Guest attila

Our 6-year old borzoi, Ina, started letting out a quick yelp each time she stands up today.

I've checked all of her legs, paws, and toes - no abrasions or swelling or cuts. I've also tried posturing her joints this way and that, and haven't gotten any yelping.

I think it's her front right leg - but I can't be sure. She seems to be able to put weight on all of her legs, but I noticed her babying the front right one more than the others.

Ina has a wheat allergy and we are generally unclear about the first 6 years of her life. I'm jumping to conclusions but is this how osteo starts? It could be that Ina sprained something or pulled something. We'll have to see how she does tonight when we get home from work.

Well, it's *more* likely she pulled something :) With all that hair, they're definitely not as easy to examine as a greyhound, but take a good look around and check for swelling, bruising, etc.

If it hasn't improved in a few days, you might want to schedule a vet appointment.

Hope it's nothing serious. She's a very pretty girl and I'm glad I got to meet her at Dewey :)

ETA: I see you've already checked for the above. Hmm. Rest her, leash walks only and see if she improves in a day or two.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks President Meredith!

Well, it's *more* likely she pulled something :) With all that hair, they're definitely not as easy to examine as a greyhound, but take a good look around and check for swelling, bruising, etc.

If it hasn't improved in a few days, you might want to schedule a vet appointment.

Hope it's nothing serious. She's a very pretty girl and I'm glad I got to meet her at Dewey :)

ETA: I see you've already checked for the above. Hmm. Rest her, leash walks only and see if she improves in a day or two.

How is Ina today?

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Like Bev, checking in, too :)

I don't know if you've ever seen the Gannon video on how to examine a greyhound, but to figure out if something is in the shoulders, straddle the dog facing forward and pull the front leg backwards so that the shoulder is at about a 90 degree angle and the elbow is parallel to the the spine, just lower (in other words, you're not trying to hike the leg up as high as the back, but you want to bring it in a straight line, just below). If the shoulder won't pull back 90 degrees, there's a problem there. If you don't see anything there, you want to take one hand and support her chest, then with the other, hold the elbow and gently push it forward so that her leg goes out straight out. If she can't do that or is painful when you do it there could either be a shoulder or elbow problem. Also, if her wrist is not out straight, there's a problem with her digital flexors - the paw will droop rather than extend.

Maybe set up an appointment anyway for a few days away, and if she improves, you can always cancel. Dr. Kellogg is usually in on Saturdays if you want to take her to Great Falls.

:goodluck

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire