Bloat And Walking

Guest the36thchamber

Guest the36thchamber

I've read quite a bit about bloat and most articles say there should be no vigorous exercise for about an hour before and after meals but they also say that's it's all right to walk them before and after meals... just no vigorous exercise. My dilemma is this, I have time first thing in the morning, not to mention the weather here in So Cal is nicer at that time, to take Lego for a nice 30-45 minute walk but once we get home from his walk, I have to feed him his breakfast. I can't wait an hour after his walk to feed him, it has to be right when we get back. So is a 30-45 minute walk before breakfast safe or does that count as vigorous exercise?

When I lived in Salem, MA, I used to take the dogs for an hour walk in the morning, feed them when I got home and take them around the block to potty after I got out of the shower.

For most of their lives, Jet and Ryan's walks have always been right before or after their meals and were usually long ones.

Guest lynne893

ditto-- i almost always feed just after walks (breakfast & dinner). as long as they're not super-riled up, i feed them.

my childhood dog died at age 12 of bloat, and it had nothing to do with activity. it happened in the middle of the night, and my dog was a senior, as was my mom, caring for the dog. neither did much, activity-wise. it can happen to any barrel-chested dog. (ours was a golden-retriever / terrier mix.)

We walk right after breakfast and dinner too. More like stroll most of the time, but it's a mile stroll.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project