Senior Male Incontinence...

Guest Spiff

Spiff (almost 14) has started to have trouble with urine leaking and occasionally ends up peeing in the house... (He also seems to have lost some of the feeling of those muscles, because he'll start walking again, despite the fact that the pee is still flowing. He's got LS, so I'm not surprised that he has increasing issues with this as he gets older.)

He is on the maximum dose of predisone (for the LS), so that means that he drinks a lot of extra water. (And I am assuming that we cannot limit water intake because of this.)

We take him out frequently for walks and let him out in the garden frequently to pee - but I think sometimes he just doesn't empty his bladder 100% and being in the garden also gives him the opportunity to drink water out of the fish pond!

I was wondering if anyone has used a belly band for such problems? (If so, is it easy to make one? What do they look like? How easily do they stay in place? Or does anyone know of someone in Europe that I could order one from?)

Get a male diaper at Petco and put a Depends in it with or without a Huggie (more holds more pee pee) I did this for Darius and it worked fine. I had at least 5 of these and a box of Huggies and Depends. I set them all up so it was quick to change and have extras as some were washed.

http://www.petco.com/product/103970/Simple...rment-Wrap.aspx

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest EmilyAnne

Unfportunately I can't remember which GT poster it was, but one person said his/her grey had either incontinence or UTI's, (can't remember which) and the problem dissapared when she switched to bottled water. I think it's certainly worth a try.

Henry was incontinent last week, due to confusion from seizures, and so I ordered a belly band from Critter Cozies. It will be here very soon and I intend to post about it in my blog. I will pm you later with blog link if you are interested.

Also, I'd look into those absorbent washable bed pad thingies hospitals use, to lay on Spiff's bed. Does anybody know a good source for those?

I ordered a belly band from Critter Cozies.

Yes! If I can't figure out how to make a belly band (or if my machine really is broken - it wasn't happy the last time I used it), I'll order one from Cara-Lea! (Spiff is a big fan of hers :wub: ).

Spiff already has 3 different blanket sets for interchanging if they get a little wet, but maybe I can use some puppy pads between the blanket and bed to keep his bed from getting wet.

This morning was a total disaster -- he peed all over 3 different carpets! (We have lots of little rugs on the hardwoods to keep him from slipping!) ARGH! But what can we do?? I thought I'd try a belly band! (Although, honestly, I'm not sure if a belly band would have even taken care of the volume of pee released this morning!!)

I've seen some advertisements for some new Always women's incontinence products. I wonder how their absorbing power compares with some other products. (Actually, that makes me realize, I should grab a few samples at my women's fitness center for use in a belly band/diaper...)

Edited by Spiff

Guest caiteag
I ordered a belly band from Critter Cozies.

Yes! If I can't figure out how to make a belly band (or if my machine really is broken - it wasn't happy the last time I used it), I'll order one from Cara-Lea! (Spiff is a big fan of hers :wub: ).

And I am a big fan of Spiff's!! I actually started making belly bands because Quinn got to the same point with his LS and we needed to do something. They aren't hard to make at all.. I will pm you with details. Anything to help out dear Spiff.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer is 8 y/o and has either LS or one of a few other problems none of which can be accurately diagnosed without an MRI. Spencer is also on Pred and he is totally incontinent, not just leaking. I use a belly band on him and put a Poise pad in it. The Poise pad is the maxiumum strength for overnight protection. The belly bands I use are found here. I'm hoping that Spencer's incontinence will improve but I don't have high hopes. He was also on Proin which helped until he had the back problem.

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

• 6 months later...

For those of you with incontinent males (either fully or just those that dribble) that use a belly band, do you find that the pressure of the belly band seems to control the accidents? After H's recent UTI, we were leaving the belly band off for fear that was where the bacteria came from. We've noticed that with it on, he goes from floods to dribbles, but the floods return when you take the band off. (Personally I think the UTI came from the relocation folks NOT taking the band off him before he flew, so he wore the same incontinence pad/belly band for about 12 hours...)

I'm going to get DH to grab a large bottled water from Sainsbury's on the way home to give them to drink, but any other info concerning belly band use would be great. I think that we're at the LS point with him due to the weakness/wobbly back end and that he does that very thing where he walks off before he's done...like he doesn't know.

1891749469_26b4440a06_m.jpg
Nancy and Simon Dunne, with Clown and Daisy in Greenville,

SC....but missing West Yorkshire summat chronic! uk.gif

After you get the belly band from Cara-Lea (I can't say enough about them!!), you'll need something to put IN it. Don't even think about trying to use JUST it!

What I used with great success were HUMAN incontinence pads--the kind that would stick to underwear. A full diaper is totally unnecessary if the belly band fits. George really let it rip into his Serenity Ultra pads on more than one occassion, and there was NO leakage!

Cara-Lea's belly bands are very soft and stretchy, and therefore COMFY for the dog, so it shouldn't bother him a bit.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

CL, we may have to talk about belly bands if they are stretchy. I have four that were made by a friend of mine in SC that are great for younger dogs but I think they impede H's already failing ability to control his back end because they are not stretchy, if that makes sense? I use Tena incontinence pads, the aloe vera kind. Poor DH, it wasn't until I got over here and showed him that he knew they had the adhesive on the back..."So THAT'S how you keep them from falling out of the belly band!" :rolleyes:

1891749469_26b4440a06_m.jpg
Nancy and Simon Dunne, with Clown and Daisy in Greenville,

SC....but missing West Yorkshire summat chronic! uk.gif