Arthritis?

Guest ellieb

This has happened two times in the past couple of weeks.

Indigo woke up first thing in the morning and started whining. Not just an "I want to go out" or "Max is in my way" whine. A more frantic one.

She also seems tensed up. She almost hunches her back. Her tail is firmly between her legs and she trembles. Her heart seems to be beating more quickly, too. She seems frightened. (I could be putting my feelings onto her!)

Today was the second incident. I hustled her outside and she did pee. She may have pooped, too. It was pretty dark outside.

When she came back to the door, she balked at the steps. (We have three concrete steps into the house.) I had to step outside ...in my frog nightgown...and love on her/coax her to go up. She went up them with no problem.

Instead of going right to her dish to look for breakfast (her usual routine) she went and curled up on the living room rug. I waited a bit, then made their breakfast. She did eat and seemed to be moving around fine.

A few minutes later, she went to the top of our steps to the lower level family room. She hesitated and whined, again. She almost put one foot on the top stair, then turned and laid sphinx-style on the hall runner.

When I left for work she was napping on the dog bed in the living room. She seemed fine.

Any thoughts? Have your hounds ever done this?

It does sound like she has pain somewhere but it could well just be a 'one-off' and she may be back to normal in a couple of days. Maybe she laid funny, bumped or twisted something. Could just be old age arthritis setting in a bit if she is getting on in years.

Sue from England

Neck pain? Back pain? Don't know really but I think I'd certainly take her in to be given a check over. She may just have pulled or twisted something :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Certainly take her in for a checkup and see what the vet thinks. That said, if it is arthritis that's not the end of the world. You will figure out the right pain medication, maybe some other treatments (I'm a big believer in glucosamine as well, some people like accupunture, there's physical therapy...) and she can live a perfectly good life.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Talked to DH on my way home from work. He said she was fine this a.m. after I left.

When I arrived home and let them out...she was hopping around and running in the backyard with Max.

She is due for her annual check-up next month.

If it happens again, I will make her appointment early.