Normal Greyhound Heart Rate?

I feel like such an idiot...my poor has-no-self-control-around-food dog got into a huge amount of chocolate earlier tonight. My mom came for a visit and made two batches of fudge--one with peanut butter and one with 18 oz. of semi-sweet dark chocolate. I took a nap (I worked all night) and didn't give a second thought to the fudge on the table. My husband was tending the kiddos and my mom had no idea what a pig the dog is (sorry Jackie). Anyway at some point Jackie ate ALL the fudge (including the afore mentioned fudge/peanut butter, plus the condensed milk, sugar and butter involved).

I called the e-vet and at 60 pounds 18 oz of that kind of chocolate can be toxic apparently. She actually only weighs 57 pounds (my petite). So I took her in and the poor girl had to get induced vomiting (though I think most of the peanut butter came up in the back of the van--yeecckk). She then got and some toxiban (charcol). Poor girl.

The vet mentioned she didn't have too elevated of a heart rate which would have been more worrisome (it was only 110). I was so rattled I forgot to ask...what is a bad heart rate??? What is normal for a greyhound?

She threw up twice more at home--what a mess! I never thought I would find the smell of chocolate revolting, but eeewwww! But at least she seems comfortable now.

I feel terribly stupid...I know how she is about stealing food when no one is looking (she just can't help herself...and she looks so apologetic later, but yet does it every chance she gets). I was so sleepy, my mom doesn't know her ways and my husband was distracted with the children. No one thought about her climbing on the table. Of course, now I can't sleep..I wish I'd had that problem earlier! My poor doggie :(.

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

I believe the greyhound's heart rate is slower than other breeds, and up to 90 beats per minute would be normal at rest, with the rate increasing with stress or exercise or excitement. So 110 at the vet with induced vomiting isn't too bad at all. :)

Their hearts are capable of pumping a LOT of blood, so it would have to raise pretty high to be dangerous in itself, although if toxic quantities of chocolate have been eaten, the important thing is that the raised heart-rate would be an indication of bad changes happening in the body generally. It's hard to say what would be a dangerous heart rate in those circumstances, it's probably best left to the vet to tell you.

I meant to add - I'm glad you caught that early and she's going to be OK!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

This is from an adoption site health information sheet -

Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine, which are stimulants to the nervous system. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination, hyperactivity, increased heart rate and respiratory rate, abnormal heart rhythms, restlessness, tremors, staggering and seizures. Chocolate toxicity is dependent on several factors: the type of chocolate, the size of the dog, and the amount ingested. The most toxic form of chocolate is unsweetened baking chocolate. It is almost ten times as potent as milk chocolate, which is the least toxic form of chocolate. If an adult greyhound ate an entire Milky Way bar, he would not get chocolate toxicity, though he might develop diarrhea or worse, pancreatitis. Coffee, tea and colas are also sources of theobromine and/or caffeine and should be avoided.

Source

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thanks! She seems to have weathered the night okay. She had water this morning and I made her some boiled chicken and rice (vet recommended) for breakfast, but my chow-hound wouldn't eat....now I know she's not feeling well!! But she pooped okay. As long as she starts eating by tomorrow she should be okay.

The chocolate was semi-sweet dark chocolate and apparantly 18 oz is right at the toxic limit for a 60# dog. I'm sure all that sugar and butter she also ate didn't help with her tummy though.

Oh well, off to find a car detailer to take care of the van....good thing I work for the government and have the day off to take care of her and the car!!

(I wonder if she'll ever try to eat chocolate or peanut butter again???)

Cathy

Edited by JackieDog
Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

A young, healthy, relaxed greyhound's heart rate can go as low as 40; shocking, I know! The older they get the faster the heart rate. My middle aged greyhounds seem to feel great when they're heart rates are 70-ish. More than that, something is always wrong, like they're in pain, their thyroid levels are too, high or they have some kind of medical condition.

Nope, I'm not a vet; this is just what I've seen over the years.

I hope Jackie feels better soon. I'm sure this is as hard on you as it was on her. :grouphug

Marcia in SC